1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternate 5 string tuning?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nbabakitis, May 16, 2011.

1. nbabakitis

nbabakitis

Jan 29, 2010
    phoenix, az
    I'm debating getting a 5 string however I'm running into the problem of whether i should leave it in standard or put it in a different tuning. My band plays in drop c and I'm just wondering what options i could do with tuning. Any help would be much appreciated

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yes- you can tune any bass to any tuning as long as you have the right tools which consists of strings and setup.

My band plays 95% of the time in drop C and I tune my Spector 5'er ACGCF or GCGCF to match. I don't play a lot of slow quarter notes so the "just transpose" crap is BS/useless. However I just got a new 4 string and that will be my main bass for this band.

3. nbabakitis

nbabakitis

Jan 29, 2010
    phoenix, az
    Yea i was really looking into that GCGCF tuning and yea i cant really do the whole transpose thing either too much moving around on my part.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Best strings I've used, ever, and were designed for drop-tunings are Circle K's. Check them out in the "Strings" forum and that will help a lot.

GCGCF is a blast to play when, like I said, your bass and gear can properly handle it. :bassist::bassist: I'm more worried about writing another good song than half step up or down here or there for the sake of e-peen... ;)