1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've been using Media Player for years, and love it. For some reason now it's crashing, every time, and I can't find a fix. Tried every fix I could google, to no avail, and after weeks of this BS I'm throwing the towel in. Need to learn songs. Need a replacement.

What Windows/PC based players can I download that have at least:
    • EQ options
    • Play speed options
    Nothing else really matters to me, aside from the above, and ease of use.

Would like to find an alternative - ASAP as I have work I want to do tonight. Willing to drop a few bucks (under $20 preferably), but would of course prefer free.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Me too! All of this me too!

Hey Joe, which windows? I have a 10 machine and a 7 machine.

Boone_Mc likes this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm using whatever the latest Windows version is. I think 10.

I found VLC while waiting, and it's pretty awesome - only problem is that it sucks on slowing down and speeding up. Breaks the audio up too much. I also downloaded Foobar2000 but I've been trying to find speed settings. I think it's super outdated though, and hasn't been upgraded.

So far, best option does seem to be VLC, thanks @Hoochie Coochie Man - but I really want to find something that does it all, really well. About to remove Foobar.

gebass6 and NoiseNinja like this.
  4. Gord_oh likes this.
  5. Thanks. I didn't know I had a play speed option in Windows Media Player.

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yeah... been playing around with the settings. I like it a lot. I especially like how easy it is to loop parts. I thin it beats media player in every way except for the slowing down and speeding up. If anyone knows how to tweak that, it would be great. Still willing to pay for something better though, if it exists.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yes. And they work really well. As long as media player is working :/. I don't know what's up with that thing.

@two fingers did your player also stop working?

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not on my 10 Lenovo laptop but it did on my 7 Sony Vaio laptop.

9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Winamp

HamOnTheCob, Spent and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Gold Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    The older versions did. If you updated to Windows 8 and beyond, you would find the newer version lacked that capability. It went from a variable speed version to a 3 or 4 speed version to the latest that was free for a short time if you upgraded from 8.1 Windows 10. It had/has no speed variables. Microsoft is no longer offering any version now. I would express my displeasure with the situation but there are plenty of computer geek forums doing that for me. :mad::mad::mad:

ZenG likes this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I had up to the latest version, and every version in between. All mine had the play speed settings.

12. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Thanks for the tips. I have VLC and wasn't using it. I didn't know it could be slowed down. I'm having to learn a few songs tonight, so this should help.

13. SaxBass

SaxBass Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Transcribe, by Seventh String software. Transcribe! - software to help transcribe recorded music

Slow down, speed up in increments. EQ options. Terrific software. Check it out. 30 day free eval period, then $39 to buy. I've used it for years- wouldn't be without it. Definitely worth the money.

14. I use Audacity. Its slow down option is great.

You can use it for multi-track recordings, looping certain parts, etc. Plus it's free.

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I use Best Practice. It's a nice slow downer and all around solid practice tool. Easy to use and works with CD's & mp3. Can even change tunings via semi tones but no EQ (free)
    Amazing Slow Downer is a full featured software w/EQ, etc. (small cost involved I believe)
    I recommend get them from cnet.com for safe downloads.
    Hope this helps.

mikew31 likes this.
  16. Joe, Re: VLC. under Tools > Preferences > Hot Keys, look for Faster & Slower, also Faster (fine) & Slower (fine). These control the increments of speed IIRC. The user used to be able to define the speed increments in older versions. I don't know if that is still the case and can't recall off the top of my head where one makes those adjustments. I'll have to wait to get back to my computer and see if I can find where the adjustments are made. I've not had any issues with the audio breaking up when I slow it down, but I'm using a much older version. Maybe this will be of some help.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  17. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Winamp is ok but it moves pretty slowly and can be annoyingly resource-intense. I have been using MusicBee for listening and I really like it. Easy to navigate my huge library, and it is not sluggish at all.

18. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have some great apps on my Android that I use now, but when I stuck with running the PC, Transcribe! was a life saver for me. I really liked the simplicity of the older version, but I think it's got some great features now.

19. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    vilshofen likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021