Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I being Hacked? (computer problem)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Aug 21, 2005.

1. With Norton internet security (firewall), I keep getting a warning pop up.

"A remote system is attempting to access your computer"
    "Protocol: UDP Inbound"

From the information section, I will get two address. First is "remote address" which is always different when it pops up. the second is "Local address" with the location being "home" This address is pretty consistent.

At fist I thought it was something I downloaded and the "local address" was me. In other words, my computer was sending out information to another computer to connect to my computer, if that sounds correct. But now the local address is different which makes me think I am being hacked into, or at least an attempted hack. Plus now it is happening more frequently, it is driving me a little nuts. I have already done a lot of uninstalling to see if it was some free program I downloaded.

So far I have tried tying the addresses into my browser to see if I can find out where it is coming from. No luck. Once and only once I got a collage, all other attempts have been 404 "page not found"

Am I being hacked? If so what action can I take? How can I find out who these address are? I think I may need some hacking skills of my own.

It happened three times when writing this. It will pop up and usually pop up with three or four times in a quick secession after clicking on "block address" It has been happening for a while now and I'm starting to go a little nuts over it. :help:

2. You probably have adware or spyware trying to "phone home"

Clicking on thos sites probably is NOT a good idea, BTW...

Follow ALL the steps here, lengthy but thorough, to remove the spyware/malware...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8428

3. That's a good list and I will check it out more.

I did however forget to mention that I have been doing the common sense stuff.

I have both Ad-Aware and Spybot which I update and run on a regular basis. It has been going on for quite a few months now and it still has not fixed the problem.

I also have Norton anti-virus with the Internet security, it will also delete adware. Norton is the OEM version so I will not get much on the way of support from them.

If it is some kind of adware, after say four to six month of this you think Norton, adware or spybot would have updates by now.

All this is what make me believe that it may have been something I have downloaded. The best example. I downloaded a trial version of Registry Mechanic. When I went to use it, Norton pop up and said it was trying to connect to a server so I blocked it. It worked fine. I thought this may have been the offending program so it was uninstalled and I manually searched the registry for any remnants of the program and got rid of it. No luck. Again, this has been happening for a while now so I have lost track of when it started. (before or after certain downloads)

If I can't figure this out my last resort is to reload windows. I have not done it in quite a while so it is probably due, but that is for a rainy day and I would like to nip this one in the bud. If it comes back after that I will be just a tad P.O.ed ;)

4. First of all, its cracked and not hacked, as seen here: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

If you are being cracked, UDP is a weird choice. Unlike TCP, it
    does not validate the data sent, so you can lose data in the process. (this makes it ideal for streaming media though).

You say the location is 'home', what does this mean? I'm not familliar with Norton's firewall. :meh:

Anyway: most 'attacks' are just programs scanning your computer, and therefore not always bad. As long as you block it, there's nothing to worry about. And because you're a windows user, there's no way to stop someone breaking in to your computer if they *really* wanted to. Any reason somebody would want to do that?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Or any other operating system.

-Mike

6. .

Basically, I really don't believe I am being cracked, hacked, jacked, or bi$#hed smacked. Just trying to find out how stop whatever it is from connecting to my computer.

I though the address it listed might give me a clue as to what.

My using the word hacked, which I now know should be cracked was simply a description of something trying to connect to my computer. I doubt a person would try to connect to my computer for say, four months and not have either succeeded or given up.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    A lot of what may be going on is port sniffing. If you're getting pop up alerts from your Norton, it's doing it's job.

You can also go to this address:
    http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jhtml

It allows you to do an IP search. Usually the information you get will allow you to report the address to their ISP.