Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amazing Grace

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, May 29, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right now no laughing.

This is me playing amazing grace (or at least trying to)

So just thought i'd share.

:bag:

Edit by Paul: I'm very sorry but mp3 uploads should not have been enabled - we simply cannot support the hosting and bandwidth throughput needed to allow mp3 downloads from the TB webserver. My apologies for the error.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ok so I know 14 people have viewed the mp3. I'm getting a bit worried that no one has replied :crying:

Can I have some feedback please :bag:

Thanks

3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    try not to play it in a hurry ;) you are already making the harmonics happen, now work on the right mood of the tune, it will help you eliminate some glitches you'll see.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steve,

you've made a good start on it, and got most of the notes in place - now's time to slow it down and work on the phrasing, the key to making any melody work. The huge difficulty with this piece is that you're playing bassline and tune, and often the ideal phrasing for each of them is going to be different (hey, it's why I've stuck with looping!), so that's what's going to take the time...

but you've made a good start, and with a little work, will have the whole thing down...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks for that Steve I do need to play around with it more to make it my own piece. Trying to much to Wooten it up.

Thanks

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Nice job. The harmonics ring especially clearly. One thing to consider is that Vic's version is only one possibility for an arrangement of this tune (a great one, BTW). In my upcoming Mel Bay book, I take a totally different approach to arranging and performing this tune. You might want to consider making this your own
    Mike

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I agree that you rush things a little, Some of the harmonics in the beginning got squelched a bit, lay back and really feel it, ya know? and don't be afraid to improvise and figure out your own arrangement of it.

When I learn a tune like this, I like to learn it in as many ways possible, so in this instance, this version is in harmonics, well if I learn to play it in harmonics, and standard plucking, slap maybe, tapping, figure out some chords to go with it...etc.

well, then it gives me a lot more to work with than just reciting one version of the song over and over again. ya know?

but, all said and done, not a bad start at all, sounds good.