Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Standard neck problem

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mocorob, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mocorob

mocorob

Apr 21, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I've made a big mistake. I recently bought an American Standard and have since discovered that the neck is crooked, slightly bent to the left. The neck had been reset, apparently really badly. My luthier is pretty confident he can get the strings lined up with the fingerboard and repostion the bridge and sound post to their proper postion on the bass. The bass sounds beautiful, warm, loud, no buzzing, both my teacher and the luthier were impressed. I really like the bass, and I think when the work is finished, it will play and sound great. I just wonder what will happen if or when I try to sell it. I paid $2000, it came with a Realist pickup and a nice bow, the work will cost about $500. Am I in bad shape when I try to sell it? I will absolutely not buy another bass without a bass luthier inspection...what a mistake. Has anybody been through this?

2. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    Then what's the problem? Those basses are quite sought-after and $2000 is a pretty good deal for the bass and the other stuff. If it sounds good, leave it alone. If it bugs you, fix it and you'll probably get the $500 back when you sell it. But don't sell it! I still miss mine...