Ammo Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Jan 8, 2006.

1. for you .22LR shooters. what ammo do you prefer?

i just bought 525 rounds of Federal Premium Champion Rounds. 36 grain HP copper plated lead.
  2. The performance of.22 LR ammo is highly specific to the firearm being used. I have had extremely expensive match ammo perform poorly in some firearms that cheap ammo performed great in. When I buy a new .22 I always buy a box of lots of different brands to find what works best in that specific firearm. I had a S&W Model 41 match pistol that preferred Winchester Wildcat over all American and European match ammo I tried in it. My Marlin 39 prefers Remington Yellow Jackets for prairie dogs. You have to experiment...lots.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Most 22 pistols and rifles like particular brands of ammo. Especially target pieces. I mean, most bulk brands are ok for casual plinking but if you're one of those guys who compete in conditions similar to shooting the arse hairs off flies @ 50 yards then you'll have to buy ammo in small batches, test and record your results and stick to the brand that your gun likes the most.

For daily plinking I like PMC Sidewinders. It is one of the few brands my S&W 41 functions with. For (trying to) put 10 bullets into 1 hole I like CCI Standard Velocity.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hey! Another 41 owner! :bassist:

Gotta love em :) I wish I can afford more though :crying:
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree you have to buy a box of a few different brands to find out which perform the best for your particular firearm. I have a Ruger 10/22 carbine and a Mark-III pistol and they both do pretty well with everything I've put through them. I prefer CCI Stingers; they're cheap and perform really well. I think if you stick with the major brands, you'll be fine.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I use the Federal stuff (last 525 round box I bought was $9 at Wally World) in both my Ruger 22 rifle and S&W 22 pistol.

Seems to work ok in both, so I have no real reason to use more expensive ammo.
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I use the Federal stuff in my Remington. I have tried a ton of them and it is the best for it.

BTW, I haven't ever had a .22 that liked any CCI ammo.
  8. It depends on what you have in mind, but for .22 ammo, I've always stuck with whatever's the cheapest. :p Usually those ones in red boxes with the eagles. (American Eagle I think, not to get confused with the clothing store.) The great thing about .22 ammo is that it's dirt cheap, especially when bought in bulk.

(Nope, I can't give you real comparative advise, sorry!)
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I use Remington mostly out of habit.
  10. already a member of rimfire central and savage shooters :). did u get those federals for 9.99 or 9 bucks plus tax? if it shoots well imma buy 2-4 more boxes.
  11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry to hijack Gentlemen...

I am honestly shocked at the moment...

This thread has been going for 2 days straight, and no idiots have tried to make it political...

Carry on...
  12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    naaaah *L* the Mods are being very good about it recently...

ever since the same guy made 5 logins so he could bash hunting...

That was quite sad, really...
  13. My ears are burning ....

- Dave