Amp alternative

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mothra, May 15, 2005.

1. mothra

Apr 3, 2005
    Say, for the sake of argument, that I really want to buy a nice new, loud, beautiful amp, but can't afford to.

However, let's also say that I have access to a pretty good PA in my rehearsal space.

What do I need to put between my bass and the mixer to make this arrangement sound good? Any recommendations? I've never not used an amp before...

I wish I could buy a shiny new amp.
  2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    a nice DI box...i use the Sansamp Bass Driver DI - it has a solid DI output and nice tones when you blend its tube emulation, and its cheap

i heard Radial DI's are also good

you could also go for the Ampeg or Aguilar DI boxes, but i'm guessing thats starting to stretch the budget a tad...
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Go with the time proven standard, get a Countryman Model 85.
  4. A good DI box is your solution. I had a Sansamp ADI that was extremely versitile and affordable.
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Fishman Pro Platinum EQ. Five band graphic EQ, bass shelving, compressor..... under $200
  6. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Sansamp is nice. Not too expensive, either. I got mine for just over $155 after taxes, out the door brand new.

I use it basically as a channel selector. On for warm fingerstyle, off for more aggressive finger-style or slap. I could adjust my amp in between, but the Sansamp makes it more convenient and makes my tone respond more like tubes would (I can warm up my amp but it still responds fast, doesn't have that "natural-compression"-like tone, etc.).

It definately makes my bass come alive. Sometimes I want that nice organic tone. But other times I prefer to let my fingers come through.

I use then blend knob exclusively below (counter-clockwise) two o' clock. Any more and it gets too "tube-ish" for me. I have found that around 1 o' clock gives a nice blend of the warmer and natural sound of my bass and tone.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's safe to say that Sansamps are a commonplace in the DI world now, depending on your genre of music. If your into anything that's in the mainstream nowadays (Punk, Emo, Hardcore, Metal, Rock) then a Sansamp BDDI is a safe bet, and should serve you well.
  8. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    maybe a good tube DI, like the fatman compressor DI or the presonus tube pre
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    really any di will do if it's a good pa.

that's a big "if".

oh, and you'd better have a good monitor that can handle the bass as well if you want to be able to hear what you are doing. (just try to lock in with a drummer when all you can hear of your bass is the reverberations from the mains coming back at you a fraction of a second later than you play them. :rolleyes: )

IME, pa systems that can handle the bass and reproduce it well are large, expensive, and heavy. If you have access to one, jump for joy. i always love playing thru a good pa. If not, weep like a baby. It's ok, i have. ;)