Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp for College

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist66, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Hey guys, just looking for a little input here. Sometime this summer, before i head off for school, i'm gonna get a new amp. I don't need anything too loud, because ill just be in a dorm room most of the time, but I want something that will be loud enough for medium/small gigs. I was thinking about getting a 2x10 of some sort and a head to go with it (i could always save up and get a 15 or another 2x10 to pair with it in the future). I'm looking for somethin around 300-400 watts. Any suggestions? Also, since i'll be going to college soon and I only have a part time job, i can't get the top of the line stuff...so anything on the wallet friendly yet still sound friendly side would be appreciated.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Perhaps a nice Gens Bens combo would be in your range?

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Avatar 210 cab (whatever one you preferred)
    +

Portable, moderately efficient, great quality, and lots of volume.

Oh.... and dont forget the great prices and customer service. :smug:

As for a head, you always just take up that Avatar/MAG deal that they have going. Or you could look for a used GK head... depends on your taste.

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I'm not sure what you're looking to spend, but I strongly recommend a Mesa Walkabout Scout. It is compact, easy to carry and has an unbelievable sound. Plus the Walkabout head pops out and you can use it with other cabs if you are playing a bigger venue. I picked mine up used about 2 years ago for around $700. They come with either a 12" or 15" speaker...I have the 12" and it is plenty loud and clean. I always like ot say that everyone is always entitled to my opinion.... Good luck!!

5. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    The louder the better! Dont let dorms fool you, there will always be an annoying prick playing bad rap with their sub turned up. Fight noise with noise!

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Amp modeler/direct box and headphones. Amps and dorms just don't mix, I learned this the hard way. Ask yourself a few questions: Do you really want to be hauling an amp back and forth between school and home every semester and break (or have it stolen because you left it in your dorm)? Do you really want to buy an amp just so you roommate's drunk friend can trash it? Do you really want to give your RA an excuse to fine you for being too loud (and I guarantee, if they see you hauling an amp into the dorm you will be blamed for any noise complaint, even if you weren't even in the building at the time. Musician's are ALWAYS to blame when it comes to noise).

With a decent modeler/direct box like the POD or Sansamp you can play completely silently in your dorm, haul your "rig" around in a bookbag, lock it in your desk drawer when you aren't home, and plug right into the PA at any gig. Its not perfect, but then again college isn't an ideal living situation by any means.

7. thanks for the responses guys. ill keep them in mind.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Are you going to be a music major or is this just in case you find a band and gig/jam?

If you're a music major.......I'll echo was has been told to me from people on [mainly DB boards] and my professor-small and light. I bought an SWR Workingman's 12. It felt weird-i went from a 2k watt rack w/2 pres [at one time 3], 2X12, 2X10, and a 1X15. To a 1X12 that is 120 watts @ 8 ohms. I also plan on bringing my POD Pro to use as a headphone amp [big headphone amp i know] and in case i want to record demos/ideas onto my computer [assuming the sound of an unamped bass doesn't drive my roommate nuts].

If you're not going to be a music major-how much amp are you willing to lug? Are you going to be driving from point A to point B or are you walking the entire time and going sanscar?

Driving-i'd go with an Avatar Setup. If you a bit on the smaller side the SB112 would be great, the 2X10 would work too-i don't have experience w/the Neo only the deltas. As for a head-if you wanted to go rack sansamp RBI or RPM is about $315 new [can find for less used] and a carvin power amp depending on wattage can be picked up for i think $400. Ok-so i essentially told you to buy a rack like mine-it's been cost effective and it sounds good to me.

Sanscar: See music major.

Final Question: Where are you going to school?

That's all and good luck.

9. Cam: well, im not really going in for music major, but i do have a couple friends from my school that are goint to VT (Virginia Tech) as well and are interested in forming a band. I dont really mind the weight factor as much.

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Maybe you could build an amp into a kegerator :eyebrow:

11. haha, i'm with jade.

+1 for one of the avatar cabs/MAG head deals.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I plan on bringing my just-ordered Schroeder 1210 and rack with me to college. at the moment its a BBE BMax> QSC RMX850. it weighs about 40 pounds, which is ridiculous since the cab weighs 47, so I'd like to find a lighter poweramp, or even a lightweight head.

I like the idea of the Tascam Bass Trainer, but are there any similar tools somebody would like to recommend?

edit: I should note that I'm going to Berklee, so it's not like it will be unusual for somebody to bring a small rig along.

13. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

at the time it was my only amp. Had just sold a cerwin Vega folded horn set up.
    We managed to keep our PA , a VT22, my B15S, a Baby Bass, my Decca bass, an Ibanez, a 12 string Martin and an old memlody maker in a dorm room. Later I moved rooms and life got easier.

How about a BA-112?

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

14. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    you had all that in a dorm room?? where did you sleep?

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'll second the SWR Workingman's 12

It's compact and lightweight
    It has a cool sound
    It has a DI so you can go to the PA from the amp if you need more volume
    It's pretty loud for a single 12"
    It also can be used with headphones
    It's pretty cheap @ $250-350 used.

I got mine in grad school, and even though I didn't live in the dorms, I still had very little space. The amp is easy to lug around and worked well at gigs. Later when I got a Peavey TNT with a big 15" speaker and 400W, I still used the SWR. I have used my SWR for over 300 gigs (including outdoor gigs), and now it is being used by someone else to play gigs.

For practical purposes, the SWR WM 12 is a great amp. Even though I have much more expensive, I'd have no qualms playing a gig with one again.

16. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    This is why I plan to sleep in my house and go to school locally, or not go at all.... :ninja:

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I say something that sounds good but isn't too expensive in case someone decides that they need your amp more than you do.

Looking back, I naively stored my 200 watt Marshall Major head and 2x15 cabinet in a storage room at the end of the hall and never had a problem...I've become far less trusting in my old age...

My freshman year, I met a guitarist who built himself a combo out of a Marshall head and a single 12. One feature was a big chain and pad lock to chain it to something in his room. I thought it kind of odd...but like I said, I was naive and it was a relatively small school out in the middle of nowhere...

18. nice...yeah i'm gonna be carefull with it so that it doesn't end up stolen or whatever

19. once again, thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll definately take them in mind when i go amp-hunting sometime soon. i'll post what i ended up getting then too.

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually you should check this. When my friend was at Berklee a few years ago they did not allow amps in the dorms. A few hundred guitarists all in the same place playing every night...its easy to guess why.

They may have changed this policy though, just shoot them an email and ask.