1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Head Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heavymetalfurby, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hey Talkbass,
    I'm a new bass player. I've played guitar for nine years, so I have the basics down. I just purchased a used Ibanez BTB455QM at the local music store, and my friend is trading me his Avatar 410 cab for some of my old gear, and I was wondering what amp head would be suitable for someone of my level? I have a limited budget, so I'm aiming for under $300 USD. I don't want something cheap that won't give me a good sound, but at this stage of the game I don't need anything professional. Is this price range anything doable or would you recommend saving and getting a very nice amp head?

2. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    hmm ..look for used Hartke or GK ..good quality for low price :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is a lot of good stuff out there you can get for $300. I'm using an Ampeg PF350, which does 250w into an 8 ohm cab or 350w into a 4 ohm cab, and it's $300 new. If you can save up another hundy (a little less if you can find a sale), you can get the PF500, which has a few extra features and does 300w at 8 ohms, 500w at 4. There's other stuff from other makers, too, but the Ampeg PF stuff sounds amazingly like the Ampeg tube amps, so for me they win.

4. Used peavey gear would fit your needs. Reliable, and readily available.