1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

amp input jack wiring issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by miner49er11, Apr 15, 2010.

1. miner49er11

miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    Jagsonville
    I have a 70's vintage Seymour Duncan Bass 400 ss amp that works great with my GS410 and 210MBX. The input jack is a standard 2-conductor TS jack. It doesn't ground the tip when a plug isn't in it. Can I install a jack that grounds the tip when the plug is pulled without damaging the amp? In its current state, if you turn up the volume pot with no guitar plugged in :eek:, it tends to make some strange noises and might be burning my HF driver voice coil for some reason :meh:. It did this once. Anyway, can I ground the preamp input safely? There's only one input jack. ~Pete

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Get a cord with the Neutrik grounding plug on it. It has an internal switch. When the cord is removed from the guitar, it automatically grounds the plug so it is silent. No clicks, pops or hum.

and YES - the input can be shorted with no problem.

When you have time, you need to find out what is causing this noise in your preamp!