Amp Modeling choice...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superfly, Nov 19, 2004.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Ok, I've read some posts about amp modeling gadgets. I'm still undecided.

I want a device (not rack mount) which models various amps and cabs. AND WORKS GOOD FOR A LIVE SITUATION. I really don't need other effects, but I know they are usally part of a device. So basically, what device does the best job as a live amp modeler? Take into consideration the sound quailty and NOISE or hiss it makes.

Bass pod ? bass pod xt? bass pod pro (rack) whats the diff?

2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Bass POD's are pretty good; they let u do just that: emulate various amps and cabs. Line 6, in general, is extremely good at making stuff that emulates other stuff.
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Go with Line 6...XT version.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you go with a Pod, definately the XT version. I just sold one. I really liked it over the old version. I sold it because I got spoiled by an Avalon U5 which made my upright bass sound fantastic. I couldn't get that with the Pod. With the electrics the Pod was killer. The Alembic model is quite nice.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I must admit I haven't tried the Pod XT, although I did have a Bass Pod for a while. However, I've had a Boss GT-6B for a while, and I'm getting to the point where I may replace my beloved SansAmp Bass Driver with it. Both the Pod and the GT-6B are afflicted with some weirdness, mostly of the showoff variety. The presets are like, "Look how many weird, useless sounds we can make!" If I had kept the Pod, and dug deeper, maybe I would still have it. But with it, and with the GT-6B, you have to dig deep and spend some quality time with the manual to understand what they can really do.

For me, the advantage of the GT-6B is that once you make a nice amp pre-set (the SVT model sounds really good to me), you can then assign the lower bank of pedals to do various things without changing the model. For instance, I just did an SVT patch and assigned pedal 2 to a Big Muff model with a low drive setting so I can get some light distortion with no change in volume. I assigned pedal 3 to a chorus sound. So, within one patch, I can get SVT, slightly distorted SVT, chorused SVT, and distorted and chorused SVT. I could also set up a compressor model and assign it to pedal 1, etc.

I'm sure the Bass Pod XT has its own advantages, and probably either one would work OK for you.
  6. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi Flatwound

I'm also looking for a 'modelling' effect for my bass (mainly because I have a clean power ap rather than a 'proper' bass amp.

I'm sort of considering PodXT versus GT6B, and I think you're the first person I've found who uses a GT6B

Glad to hear you like it - can you tell me how you find the controls - is it easy to tweak the EQ settings 'on the fly' (i.e. if a preset sounds a little wrong because of the room you're in) - I know it's going to be a bit more of a pain by being a 'pedal board' rather then on the amp, but is it easy ?
    (I'm using a Korg Ampworks, which sounds great but the controls are just too fiddly for 'live' use)

Also, are there any BiAmping options on the GT6B ??

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There's a lot of adjustability available once a patch is selected. First, there's a three-band equalizer that can be tweaked by turning knobs. If necessary, you can also use a three-band parametric, but it's a lot more time-consuming. This adjustability, though, is only useful if you're going to use the same settings for a whole set or whatever, because if you switch patches, everything goes back to the settings in the patch, which kind of makes sense. You can also adjust the effects that you're using, but again, the settings will revert to the patch settings if you switch patches.

The GT-6B has stereo outs in both 1/4" and XLR, so you could conceivably use two amps, but it doesn't seem to bi-amp. I've looked through the manual and I don't find a crossover for biamping.

Incidentally, Line 6 recently added a new guit*r pod-that's-not-a-pod that looks something like the GT-6 but with more pedals and less knobs. If they make a bass version, it might be pretty cool.
  8. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Cheers for that Flatwound - I'll have to get down to a local store and play with one of them.

I'll also keep an eye on the Line6 website for a bass 'pod-that's-not-a-pod' !!

Thanks again