Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp noise!! What is causing it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robear22, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have a problem here that I hope you guys can help with. I have a Kustom Groovebass that I put in the shop because of an unusual amount of noise that I was getting. I was playing it in rehearsal and I heard my sound break up and the volume dropped. Then it came back but there was some noise coming from it. It was an electrical noise for all I know and it seems to come from the amp. I thought it was one of my basses but changing those produced the same result. I tried different instrument and speaker cables and nothing. Even with no instruments plugged in I got the hum. Sounds similiar to 60 cycle hum but louder. So I bring it home and try a different cab and same thing. So that is in the shop.

Then I try my backup head that I just got, a Behringer BX4500H and plug into my main rig(Avatar B212) and that head produces noise also. Not as loud as the Groove Bass but there is noise. A couple of weeks ago my rig was quiet but all of a sudden there is tons of noise. I do the same thing with the Behringer and bring it home and same thing I get noise. So I plug in my Yorkville XM200 into the Behringer return line bypassing the pre and the noise disappears. So I think that I got a noisy pre in the Behringer so I am returning it and getting a Hartke HA3000 for practice and backup. If this head gives me the same noise then what is the problem?

Also I messed with my Avatar B212 because I put the new crossover in it a couple of weeks ago and when I removed the plate the noise stopped for a brief second then came back on. But touching and moving the plate did not duplicate that response. I have no idea what is going on but it seems that all my stuff is acting crazy now. I would appreciate some input from you guys as to what you think it is or has anyone else experienced something like this. I remember that Tombowlus said in his reviews of the Groovebass that it is susceptible to noise issues. What can I do to improve this? I have not heard back from the repair tech yet.

2. You have too many problems going on from too many sources to expect much of an answer sight unseen. This may or may not apply - did you plug all of the amps into the same outlet to test them? If so, check the voltage and ground of the outlet. Do you rehearse in a low-rent rehearsal space? I have seen some frightening wiring in some of those places. If you're lucky the problem will be in the external wiring and not in your heads and cabs. Otherwise it looks like you will have a few repair bills. Good luck.

Rick B.

3. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    My amps reside in one of two places, my house and at church. I occasionally play out and when I did I got the same noise. The Behringer situation I feel is just a noisy amp because when I bypassed the pre-amp and used the Yorkville pre she was as quiet as a church mouse. When I did the opposite the noise returned. The Groovebass is a different animal though. Thanks for your response. Anyone else have an idea?

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When you say the noise comes from the amp, do you mean that the amp physically is emitting the noise, and not the loudspeaker? Can you explain what sort of noise it is?

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Sorry, I missed the description of the hum.

Keep in mind that 60-cycle hum can be loud or soft, depending on how it gets into the system and how it's set up.

Are there any controls on the amp that affect how loud it is?

6. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Yes when I messed with the EQ the intensity changed especially when I adjusted the high and mid frequencies. I still heard it but not as clearly when I cut those frequencies. I can hear what I am playing but as soon as I stop playing I hear the hum. It was so loud that our sound tech thought it was coming from the PA. When I turned my amp down he gave me a look like "that was you!!??"

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    i forget what its called, but if your preamp has a grounded plug, try an adapter that disconnects the ground or a short extention cord that does NOT connect the ground to the wall. might have a "ground loop".

like this
    [​IMG]

if the sound comes and goes, see if there is a refridgerator motor or some other heavy motor on the same circuit.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Ground loops occur only when there are other devices, with their grounds (or earths) connected through more than one path. You won't get a ground loop from just one device because there is no loop.

Don't use a ground lifting adapter or an extension cord that lifts the ground. That third prong on the AC plug is called a safety ground, and it's there to keep you or someone else from getting shocked or even electrocuted if something in the amp ever became damaged enough to allow the AC line to contact the chassis. It's rare, but it sometimes happens.

9. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Well I got the word from the repair guys and nothing is wrong with my amp. I am going to check the crossover on the speaker cab and hopefully that is it.

10. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Well the Hartke 3000 came in and I plugged into the Avatar 212 and this amp is a lot quieter. So that eliminates the cab. No buzz and no hum. I think the Behringer was just noisy and I will find out about the Groovebass when I pick it up tomorrow.

11. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Well I found the problem. It is my Behringer Dualfex processor that is sitting in the rack with my Groovebass. When I plug it in the noise starts. I don't know why this happens but maybe because both devices being on the same circuit are causing it to act up like that. I don't even have to turn it on, just plug it in and the noise starts. Now I need to get a new exciter. Maybe I will try the Aphex? Thanks Bob and McRelly for your replies.

12. I get the noise with my Boss ME-50B. I didn't get it when I was using my Carvin R1000, which has a built in noise gate that took care of the hum and squeal. I'm thinking of getting an external noise gate to run after the ME-50B and before the Kustom Groove Bass 1200 HD, because the noise gate on the ME-50B isn't enough.