Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp or PreAmp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NoxNoctus, May 16, 2004.

1. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Im about to put down some cash for something to amplify my lovely little four stringer. I am on an extremely limited budget right now, and will only be able to fork out about $150 on an output device.

Ive been looking at some little 20/30 watt practice amps, and my brother suggested I check out the Line6 BassPod. I did, then I realized it was about $300 more thanI care to spend on my $90 guitar. Ive been looking around and I found a Behringer Bass V-AMP preamp. Neat little thing.

My question is, how good would itw sound plugged into, say, my home theater system?
    also, is it worth buying a cheap amp when I am going to probably buy something bigger when I get some more money? I figured going with the V-Amp would be a better route, since I would at least be able to use it when I get a real quality amp.Just curious on your thoughts.

2. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Dont plug into your home theater system. Thats just asking for trouble. Those amps arent designed for bass's sure you may get a sound out of it but you are probably messing up valuable home theater equipment. I dont know this for a fact but something just doesnt seem right about that. What i would do is go to your local music store and see if you can find a cheap used combo amp. im sure you can find something cheap for 100 bucks or less. Thats how everyone starts out then usually you go for a head cab combo later then finally upgrading to a massive rack system for many thousands of dollars.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Bass Vamp will work with headphones too.

You run the risk of severe and permanent damage to your home theater system if you played bass through it too loud. The Bass Vamp has on-board compression and speaker emulation so it might give your system a fighting chance...but is it worth the risk? Again, low volume would probably be fine, but what fun is low volume? :D

A good used combo amp is a great place to start. You should be able to find a nice Peavey in your price range (among others, I'm sure). Check out places like Music Go Round (if there is one nearby) find stores at www.musicgoround.com.

You can find user reviews of various amps here on TalkBass as well as on www.harmonycentral.com (in the guitar amp section) and www.bgra.net.

Once you start to find amp's in your price range that sound good to your ears, you can do a search here for more info, or ask us for more help.

Good luck!!!

4. NoxNoctus

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hmm. well I wouldnt be jacking in through line out, but through the headphone jack. If that makes any difference. I have no intention of playing it loud, I live in a housing development designed like townhouses, so homes are right next to each other. I just want it loud enough for me to practice to

5. ENTiTY

ENTiTY

May 2, 2004
    Finland
    Well if it's any help, I practise at home just as you succested you could. I use that behringer V-amp (which isn't very reliable, for me it messes up the banks for once and a while) and 100 w computer 7.1 system. Reason is that I'm not into carrying my amp back and fort between home and the place where our band plays. I can say it's not a pleasure, but does the thing. But look for a combo. For that price you should find something more useful.

6. NoxNoctus

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Alright Im going with an amp. Thanks for helping me clear my head! Im going with a 20 Watt Ibanez SW20. Going for less than 100 ducks, seems to be a pretty good deal.

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I had an Ibanez SW35 that I sold...REGRET REGRET REGRET!!!! I wish I had the thing now!