1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp power peak when turning on? Ampeg B2 Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacobus19912017, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jacobus19912017

Jacobus19912017

Nov 14, 2017
    Hello all,

I have a question regarding my Ampeg b2 head.

Allot of times when i turn the amp on, either in my house, small bar or rehearsal room the fuse of the place tends to jump out. Just to be clear im not talking about the fuse in my amp, but of the venue. Allot of times when i put the fuse back in and i turn the amp on again its fine. But a few day's ago playing at a small bar the fuse kept jumping out, and i had to go over a PA system cause it just wasn't working.

Amp is plugged into my SWR Golitah II, nothing else plugged in, and power is going directly coming from the wall.

Does anybody have an idea of what this could be??
    Thanks in advance :)

Greetings,
    Jacobus

TonH likes this.
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I would take it to a repair shop it's obviously consuming far more power than it should.:)X

3. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Fuses? Really. Where are you playing that they don't have breakers. I haven't seen an actual fuse in a building in decades and decades. Even the hundred year old farmhouse we lived in in PA had breakers. Am I reading your OP wrong?

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I suspect he meant circuit breakers as it's rare to see a fuse "jump out",...although, I've seen them explode!

5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    That's what I was thinking too, but wanted to make sure.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    This ^^^^^ I've been fooling with amps since 1965 and have never had this happen.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. Jacobus19912017

Jacobus19912017

Nov 14, 2017
    Haha yes sorry guys, i did mean breakers (english is not my main language). Thanks for the reply's, i guess i will take it to a repair shop then.

8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Good call! This is the type of problem best addressed by a qualified tech, and sooner rather than later.

OBTW no apology needed, your English is clearly better than my skills with a second language. :)

9. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Has anybody modified this amp; Bigger filter capacitors perhaps? Where are you located, and what is the line voltage and current rating on the circuit breaker?

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Actually, it can happen.

There are circuit breakers that look like fuses with a small pin that comes out of the center. These are used to retrofit breakers into fuse panels. The kind of thing that you find in some old venues. When it trips, the switch pops outward. To reset it, you push the pin back in.

5B08F2FC-7CCE-4E9D-95CB-C3F5F0419597.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    mikewalker and Al Kraft like this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I saw something like that once in an old country/farm house.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul SUSPENDED

I had them in my first house, 1926, in Canada. they worked well and lasted until i completely rewired the entire house.

Al Kraft likes this.
  13. Jacobus19912017

Jacobus19912017

Nov 14, 2017
    Its at the shop now, he mentioned the preamp tube and something about the power feed (once again i dont know the english word for it but we call it power feed here, i know in pc's its called wattage within the power supply unit). Anyway il let you know what it was once i get it back.

14. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    AFAIK, there isn't any preamp tubes in the B2 model:thumbsdown:

15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Correct. They are purely SS. I had one until about 3 years ago. Good amp.

Al Kraft and BasturdBlaster like this.
  16. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Jacobus,

This can be fixed quite easily. Your B2 is probably an amp made before 1998.
    The B2 has an toroidal transformer which has an high peak current when switched on.
    I recently bought an B2 combo with the same issue.
    I added a NTC before the power on switch, after that no more problems.

Ampeg did a modification in 1998 by adding a NTC.
    I will post some pictures, schematics later.

BasturdBlaster likes this.