1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Racks: Handles on lids?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clubdude, Apr 9, 2009.

1. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Hi guys,
    I'm still surfing around for a rack for my new LH1000. I've only owned one rack mountable head, and I used a rack bag for it.

What I have found is that a lot of the rack cases have handles on the lids! That would seem to rely a lot on the fasteners. If (and I'm entirely capable) one should not get it fastened totally, it looks like you could drop the entire head. Plus the strain on the fasteners over time.

I've seen some really expensive amp rack cases built that way, so it's not just the cheapies. Logic would lead one to put the handle(s) on the side(s), wouldn't it? Then if the fastener fails, only the lid falls off.

If any of you have a rack case like that, is it a problem? Or should I not worry about that? If it is a problem, or potential one, I could eliminate all those from my shopping list.

Also, does anyone have a Kaces III porter rack bag? They seem pretty nice for $79 for a 4-space with wheels. That's the only bag-type I'm considering. If it's crap, I'm going with a case, for sure.

Keep in mind that I'm the only one that carries the head. It stays with me at my house, and is never in a truck or trailer. So, I'm not looking for protection. I'm looking for ease of handling, with storage as a bonus. The cases I have been looking at are deep enough for a couple of cables, though.

Thanks a lot. I need one by next weekend.
    CD

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I have a 50 lb SVT 6Pro in a Road Runner case, with the handle on the lid. Of course, it is important to make sure the latches are locked, but I've had zero problems with this set up. Those twist lock latches are bulilt to take it.

3. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Thanks, Rickenboogie.

It's tough when you don't have them side by side to compare.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Status Case, when I noticed that it had the handle on the lid. Then I checked around and saw a large percentage had them on the lids, also.

I have to have something with space inside the lids, because of the handles on the LH1000.

Thanks for your insight.
    CD

4. A little OT but.....

Do you think it's important to have the latches on the lid side so they don't rattle around on the case during a gig? I've noticed most ply cases have latches on the case side which I imagine could create rattles and buzzes.

5. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    usually only 2-space racks have handles on the lid. I've seen a few 3-spaces. There are certainly racks without handles on the lids though. SKB, look on ebay for the New York guys selling racks. I looked on ebay, and there are none with handles on the lid. You didn't say for sure what size you wanted, you only mentioned the 4 space. So you have many to choose from with no handles on the lid. Many many.

6. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Get an SKB, I don't think any of them have handles on the lids:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]