1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp stopped working during a show

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mirthoneist, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    Hey guys. First off, the equipment:
    Ibanez SR530 Bass
    Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
    Ibanez Jet Driver Distortion Pedal

So I was playing my first show at a local bar with the band a couple of weeks ago and after the first song, the "sound guy" asked me to turn my bass up. The Gain was at about 10 O'Clock and the Boost (Master) was at about 12, as is recommended to be on 12 or 3 according to the manual for best results. Anyways, the other dudes did sound louder than I did, so I obliged and turned the gain up a notch to about 11 O'clock. As soon as I try to play the first note of the next song, my amp just shuts off. Thought maybe the surge protector stopped, but my 2 other rack mounted devices were still on (including my Furman Power Conditioner that the amp is hooked up to). Couldn't get it back on, so we decided to put me through the vocal speakers instead. Was a terrible night.

Next day I opened it up. The fuse was blown, so I hoped it was just that. I put in another fuse, powered it up and it immediately sparked and blew the fuse. I don't get a red light for the power indicator either, just nothing. I bought the amp refurbished from GuitarCenter.com like 3 years ago so I don't think there is a warranty. I tried searching for an amp tech but I live in a really small town, and couldn't find anyone online. My guitarist said he knew a guy who fixes amps on the side though, so we let him take a look at it. My friend said that he said all 3 capacitors went out so he's going to replace them.

I guess my concern is wouldn't there have to be a reason that the caps went bad? I thought they mostly only got bad with age really, like 20 years or something, and I can't imagine this Amp being anymore than 8 years old, at the very latest. I'm just afraid that he'll replace them and the same thing will happen again at the next show in 3 weeks due to something more.

Was just wondering if anyone would have a better inkling to what might have caused it, just based on turning up the gain a bit more. Thanks!

2. Doesn't sound right IMO/IME. The gain going up was just coincidence. It is always possible for a cap to fail at any time, but rare. Sounds more like a rectifier diode.

3. I agree with B-sring, 3 relatively new caps failing at once???

I suspect another root cause.

4. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    Thanks for the input, guys. Seems like I should stay a little suspicious of it when I get it back.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I agree 100% with nashvillebill and B-string.

6. Mirthoneist

Mirthoneist

Jul 28, 2006
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I wish I would have gone through the factory option.

I asked my friend to see if he could pick it up from the guy, assuming it'd be done by now as it's been over 2 weeks. Said he talked to the guy and that the capacitors are on Back Order... I have a show on the 21st and I'm afraid this guy is just taking his sweet time. I also feel if I just get it back from the guy I won't find someone else to find in time, nor would the factory have it done in time before my show. Shipping alone from FL to CA on that heavy item would seem like a lot of money too.

I guess my question is, are capacitors pretty exclusive to a certain part? I'm not sure if he "has" to get it from a certain place on a special order or if he could just order them from somewhere else that's not backordered if he wanted to?

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Depends on what the physical dimensions and ratings are. Can you get that info?

Also depends on what repair rules he's holding himself to, justifiably or not. Me, I'll hack/reconfigure anything to get it working again, and it won't look pretty, but it's good solid "field grade" work that can be abused and will last for years. Others are more artsy-craftsy and want it to look factory-like pristine. Not trying to make value judgments. Both M.O.s are defensible. But you do have to choose your techs with at least some view toward time to repair, if that's important to you.

8. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    The answer is easy: time for a new amp.

The chances of this thing ever fully working right again or this tech being able to fix it in a cost-effective manner are low.

Plus, your confidence level in your gear at the next show is going to be shaky.

Time for a purchase...which is cool because it's a *need* not a *want* as so many of our other purchases are. You have good reason.

9. zenman

zenman

Jan 30, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'd start looking right now for a different head to play that show on the 21st. Something tells me your amp won't be ready by then.

10. I learned the hard way... Always have a backup. Even if its not all that great, it can come in handy.

11. bass19021

bass19021

Feb 15, 2011
    A new power amp board is under $300.00. Then it'll be like new. Couple of screws and plugs and you're all set!