Ampeg 410HLF vs Ampeg 212av

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Could Be Better, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Yes! Sell the mud and get the 212av, dummy!

63.6%
  2. No! Keep what’s sounding good to you!

13.6%
  3. Get both, idiot!

22.7%
  1. Could Be Better

Could Be Better Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    Hey y’all,

I recently sold my Sunn 300T because of the weight carrying in and out of my car to and from band practice. I found myself ampless for a while until I saw an Ampeg V4B Reissue on OfferUp with a 410HLF included in sale, and I jumped on it.

I’ve never been a fan of the HLF, everyone I have ever played has just been boomy/ pure mud. I’ve mostly played the 410HE and 8x10E cabinets. I bought this rig fully intending to resell the 410HLF to get the 212av to match it.

Is it me or have they changed the way the HLF sounds? I was pleasantly surprised on how tight the highs and mids are on this cabinet. Has anyone experienced this? I really want to get the 212av because of how sexy it looks with the V4B, but I’m not sure I can let it the HLF go at this point. Haha.

What do you think I should do? I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts and opinions!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    They did change how the 410hlf sounds. Not sure when but I think it was around 2010. Still goes way low, but they gave it mids and highs.

NoSlapForYou and sharkbait130 like this.
  3. Could Be Better

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    It does go low, but not as low as I remembered. Maybe I lowered my expectations by knowing I wasn’t going to like it before I even plugged it in, and when I did, I was shocked by the amount of highs and mids.

What kind of cab is the 212av? Is it more mid based? I love to pump the mids when I play.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sounds more in the vein of the 810e and 410he to me. You would probably like it.

ktdal likes this.
  5. Could Be Better

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    I wish I could try one locally, but no one seems to have them in stock ever. I am really loving the V4B Reissue and the 212av seems to be a match made in heaven.

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have owned both. Still own the 212 av. But I did like the deep bottom end of the hlf and found I could eq it reasonably enough for my ears. Bass is about bass after all :):):)

gsgbass and ktdal like this.
  7. I recently went from an 8 10e to a 2 12 av. Sounds great to me and except for a large outdoor show , I don't think the 8 10 will be getting much use. The 2 12 handles everything the 8 10 did and they do sound very similar. These days , I'm using a standard tuned 4 string and the 2 12 handles the full range of this bass with no problems. Can't speak to a 5 string with a low B as I haven't played in that situation.
    As @JimmyM said above , the newer 4 10s handle the mids better than the old ones and if you are happy with your sound you might want to think about keeping it. Best to listen with your ears and not through years of rhetoric about the old 4 10s.
    I think the 2 12s will handle anything you need (as mine did) and while being about 30 lbs lighter than the 4 10 , they ain't cheap. So now you have a decision to make and I don't think I have made anything easier for you. ;)

ktdal likes this.
  8. Could Be Better

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    I really cannot wait to try the HLF at band level. Both the guys have been really busy with work, so I haven’t been able to try it. When I’m playing solo, it sounds real nice! Especially while using a compressor

9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I'd get two though. But, that's just me. 100% play the 212 if you can find one. If you like it, get two. I'm a all out 412 pusher. Most likely, 1 would suffice, but why not have another one for when the need happens to arise? Or, just for rocking out at home? Or even just to have one at the rehearsal spot while the other one gigs?
    Right?

ktdal likes this.
  10. Could Be Better

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    I think my band mates would hate me haha. When I had a Sunn 300T they constantly told me to turn down! Us bass players NEED to be heard though:bassist:

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  11. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I have two 4 x 10 HLF cabs..pushed with an ampeg svt pro 4..I am running through a tech 21 RPM preamp before the ampeg..I have an elevated platform that I place under the speaker cabs that brings them up about 2.5 feet..as I use them side by side..I think they sound like a million dollars..my cabs are about 4 years old..the tech 21 RPM preamp makes all the difference in the world as it can add so much in so many ways..it blends so well with the three tubes in the preamp section of the ampeg svt pro 4..prior to the ampeg cabs..I played through a vintage sunn 4 x 12 cab from the late 60's..with the original speaker cones for many years..and the sunn cabinet itself was big and bulky..almost like a big PA cabinet..even though there is a lot of other gear that also sounds good..I just cant see switching brands right now as the sound I am getting is mesmerizing..and the two cabs are easy to move and set up..

12. Could Be Better

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    Do you get a lot of midrange punch with two HLF’s?

13. Could Be Better

Mar 20, 2018
    California
    I’ve also had this crazy idea of adding a 212av to a HLF at 2ohms through the V4B to see how it sounds:smug:

SC Bassboy likes this.
  14. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    yes..if I have it dialed in that I want it that way...........back in the old days..there used to be a saying that "mid is mud"..and we all had fun with that..I dont like a too much of a "mid" sound..even though you hear everyone say they want those mids to cut through..my frequency emphasis is the 80 to 100 hz range..the overall blend of the sound on the stage is always a goal..and how it sounds to my ear is what I am after..and I have a perceived idea of what I want it to sound like..usually like something I have heard on an album on a home stereo system..the gear you play with is a big part of the sound..its good to have plenty of speaker cone surface area so as to play at lower volume with more head room..instead of less is more..its more is more..the frequencies sound so much sweeter when the cones are not pushed that hard..I guess it also depends on what you are trying to achieve..its hard to be melodic if you are overly loud..learning to play a lot of ballads..or slower stuff..can really develop your skills..its great ear training..after you play with a group of professionals for years..a lot comes naturally..everyone is on target with volume and what parts they play in the song..with the freedom to embellish a song as seen fit by a seasoned musician..getting accustomed to playing with the same group of friends / pros over the years can be a magical thing..

15. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Did you ever pick up a 212AV? Curious if you paired it with your HLF

Lauragoddess7 likes this.
  16. @SC Bassboy I’m wanting to know the same thing!! Did you pair the two? And if so how does that sound?

17. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I've paired it with my Classic 410HLF and it sounds good but it is well documented that the older cabs are "muddy". I'm currently debating picking up a used Heritage 410HLF to sit under my 212AV