1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 450h is good for rock???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Digao, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Digao

Digao

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks!

2. Yes indeed it is! I had this amp for about 3 years and it never let me down! I loved the tone out of it.

3. Naysayer. I would only consider a solidstate Ampeg if it had a tube preamp, or it was a crazy good deal.
    I had an older version of the 450 I think it was 450TH? Ate speakers for a living with the limiter off and I never could nail a good tone with it on.

4. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I've never heard of a 450TH :confused: Would love to see one tho - I'm fascinated by discontinued Ampeg stuff.

I like my SVT-450H. Very capable amp for rock.

5. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It'll sound pretty good with a bass pod, or VT bass in front of it..... Other than that not an over the top tone monster, very dependable though. It is basically the same amp as the B2RE if I am not mistaken.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have the 450H and i have no problem getting a good tone out of it... i am about to put the vt bass deluxe in front of it tho... as soon as they are released that is....

7. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The Vt bass should really wake up the 450. I have the SVT 1000, which is the 1000 watt version of that amp. The VT bass gives it some grumph that the pre amp on that series lacks. I also have the older SVT 350H at practice space that I run a Line 6 Bass POD in front of and it wakes it up as well.

8. There are a couple of models in almost the same price rang as the 450 that have tube preamps. I would think those would be better. I tried to get by on an all solidstate ampeg and it just didnt have the Ampeg tone at all. If you are going to go all solidstate why not get a lighter head anyway? Like a GK 800RB or one of those GenzBenz heads.
    The Mesa M3 is less watts but half tube and roughly the same price. The M6 is a bit more but also a bit more watts.

About the 450 th, I am not positive on that model number, it was 15 years or so ago.
    I do recall the "th" part of the name, maybe it was 400th? I tried searching the Ampeg website but they dont have all the models listed. Some models were only out for a year or so it seems.