Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 810 with effects?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by judas jedermann, Jun 28, 2005.

1. I´m planning to buy bigger cab (now I have acme lowB2). I use lots of effects for example Unibass, Deep Impact and fuzz.

Having GAS on ampeg 810 but was little bit worried about its frequency response max.5KHz. Am I going to lose top end of over-the-top effects with the 810? Should I rather consider ampeg 610 or SWR Goliath sr because those cabs have tweeter?

My pre-amp is SVP-PRO and power amp QSC PLX 2402. I use Jazz bass and primarily need good tube growl ( pretty much like Timmy C./Audioslave or Juan Alderette/The Mars volta).

Thanks beforehand for your help.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I always found less hi-fi rigs work really well with bass effects can kinda take away the cheesiness of the sound.

I use ashdown (Only a 1x10) but I'm adding a 4x8 soon and I find it's great for effects and trust me I use loads. So you may want look at them, for an 8x10.

If you are into a more hi-fi tone or want more hi end maybe an SWR would be better, but I found with over the top effects can be harsh on more transparent gear.

Hope this helps

3. Thanks TaySte_2000!
    I thought about Ashdown also but it`s little bit too expensive for me, just like the swr megagoliath. I agree with you that less hi-fi rig could take the cheesiness away. I was just worried about if Ampeg 810 makes over the top sounds too subtle as the frequency response starts to fade out from 5KhZ. Although I`m not keen on slapping or anything like that. I just want my sound to be huge, mean, freaky and evil ;)

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    yeah but huge, mean, evil and freaky has alway been in the lows, you know massive huge droning notes.

Hi end is good for erie and spooky.

But hell you have a unibass whats to stop you running say a guitar amp as well for all your high freq.

You may find you are better to go with a 1x15 and a 4x10 or 2x10 with a tweeter. That would give you more of a full range sound.

The deep inpact sounds imense with a 1x15 I was using a Hartke 115xl and it was amazing, you may want to try something like that.

Ashdown have two ranges as well MAG and ABM, mag is the cheapest and over here you can get a MAG 8x10 for about 500-600 pounds so knowing what America is like I'd be surprised if your couldn't find one for say $800.

Hope this helps

5. There are a few ampeg 810's

theres the classic one that i think you are talking about, the AV series that is the same as the classic but has a higher power rating (i think thats the only technical difference)

both those cabs are sealed, but there is also an ampeg 810 that is ported and has a tweeter

6. ok, i just looked on the ampeg site, and there isnt one there :/

Im sure there was a "Pro series" 810, im bloody positive!!!

ach well, my mistake

7. You`re absolutely right. Low-end is the master but I don`t want to sacrifice too much hi-frequencies.

I haven`t thought about 15` & 4X10 combination but it could be good choice too.

I live in Finland so the Ashdown prices are quite different here...

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Ahhh sorry I assumed you were in america.

Well with our new wonderful european union and all. You can buy all your ashdown gear from a dealer say www.thebassgallery.com and then pay the shipping which won't be to much, and then no tax because we are all one happy family.

Have a look at companies in europe like ebs, glockenlang and erm some one else

9. Great link indeed!

Thanks TaySte.

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    There are a few. The only difference between the Classic and the AV is the silver grille cover. There is also a Classic HPC, which weighs over 200 lbs, and has 2 coaxial drivers.

There was a Pro Series 810, like you mentioned. It's no longer on the site (probably replaced by the HPC), but you can see it in the graphic at the top of the Pro Series page.

Just to add some meaning to this post :p , an Ampeg 810 should sound fine with effects. I agree the the frequency range is great at taking away some of the harshness that comes with certain effects.

11. Ah right, i didnt think there would be another 810 in the classic section, i was sure the AV had a higher power handling, but apparently not, thought that would at least have justified the price jump up

Best thing to do is try and try one out, but i dont think you have much to worry about with the ampeg 810

12. I don't notice that much of a high frequency top off, In a pinch I've even run my guitarist's head through the top part of my cab while running myself through the bottom without a hitch, and the guitarist sounded fine.

Plus at 5 kHz your talking about higher than the 6th octive anyway, no insturment plays that high its just overtones.

For reference, "middle" C (C4) is 261.63 Hz or .26163 kHz

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Ampeg 8x10" will run effects well. I find that most cabs with horn tweeters sound too hyped and vicious in the highs when running effects, so you're best off without a horn or with the Acme/AccuGroove approach of soft dome tweeter and cone midrange.

Have you considered adding another B2 or even a B4 to make a loud yet portable rig that can move way more lows than any sealed 8x10" can dream of?

Alex

14. I will keep lowB2 for back up anyway. If I cannot for some reason take refridgerator with me I´ll take Acme . I thought about LowB4 also but all the EU-customs and transportations. I don`t want to do all the fuss again. Although Andy at Acme is very friendly and his cabs seems to be reliable I want to buy cabinet that has dealer near me in Finland.

I`ve also had some problems with Acme`s fuse (light bulb). Some time ago the original bulb (50volt) broke and I haven`t found exactly the same bulb. Now I´ve been using 21volt bulb but it tends to broke easily when I use synth effects or delay... It`s wonderful to live in periferia :rolleyes:

Our drummer is also planning to buy new drum kit with 24`bassdrum and his already waaaay too loud with his 20`kit. So I have to keep pace with him -> 810 :bassist: