Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg and Low A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Sooooooo..... If I were to be considering purchasing an ampeg rig, which would consist of an 810e and a Classic all tube head, and also be considering a 'Ray 5 tuned ADADG (because I play in a hardcore band with insanely fast drop D riffs, so no chance of tuning standard, the drop D is a must have), would it be able to handle my low A? I would be using the heaviest guage strings possible if that matters (because I love extra heavy strings and less flop).
    Would the speakers fart out on me? I dont like 15's because they arent clear enough when I am playing fast, so I dont want a 15, and I want a sealed cab.
    Would this be my best option?
    I am lookign in this price range (1000 a cab, 1000 for a used vintage SVT classic, and 1300-1400 for the bass).

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I don't know how the Ampeg would be able to handle your low A, but you should take your bass into a shop with the amp your looking at and see for yourself just to make sure.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm sure it would sound like an SVT no matter how low you play.

Personally I'd look into something more along the lines of a shroeder or accugroove for cabs though. They seem to be geared more towards the extended range...

If you do buy the 810 I hope ampeg supplies you with a team of roadie sherpas to carry your cabinet for you.

4. lol, naw its ok, I'm 16, and ill just tell my guitarist to help me carry it or well play without bass lol. I originally wanted a 410 schroeder but they are ported. I was looking sealed. I guess its not about whether the head can handle it, its about if the speakers can..

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The problem with that is that they can always find another bassist. There are lots of us around. I can move my largest rig without help or back pain. I'm probably louder than what that SVT rig would be as well. There are a lot of space efficient options out there.

Everytime I have to play a small venue I'm glad I don't have to wheel in the maytag.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I tune down to Drop C (one whole note lower than D) and the rest of the bass it tuned accordingly. I have been using my 8x10 Ampeg at practice recently and it can handle the lows decently and at a pretty loud level...no farting or anything. My Schroeder 310212, however, gets a lower gutteral tone, though. It can get handle the lower tones better. And it's easier to carry around! The 8x10 does a pretty good job on low notes (I think the sealed enclosure helps) and will more than likely do what you need it to, but there are other (better) alternatives out there for just a little more cost. Also, don't discount a ported enclosure so fast...there are many that have an even quicker response than the Ampeg does.

7. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bergantino NV425 handles an A well. It's priced slightly less than the Ampeg. I like it's overall sound much better than the Ampeg. Smaller and lighter too.