1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B15 vs v4b vs SVT VR vs cl or maybe mesa prodigy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodrigues, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    Hi,
    i am looking für a new amp.
    In the past I had few ampegs and ended up with an ampeg cl + 810.
    After I quited my Band I sold it. few months ago i bought an Orange or120 + Matamp 215 and I sold it because it sounds not that good like an ampeg.

Now I want another ampeg.

I mostly play with my REEDI and inearmonitoring. It works fine and the weight is not to heavy.

I love the svt CL and i need the power once year.
    I never tried v4b but I think 100w would be OK for most rehearsal and Gigs.

Because i am happy with my REEDI and B15 is a really good sounding AMP it is maybe the best joice für me.

What do you suggest?

What about mesa prodigy? It is not heavy and a tube amp.
    I am not sure what it is the best AMP. What do you think would be a nice add to my REEDI?

THX Erwin

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Good Question.

You've got a few options, depending on your volume needs.
    For me, an Ampeg PF50T with a PF115HE cab is enough volume for my needs (and awesome tone IMHO)
    [this is to me the modern B15]
    A step up in volume would be the V4B with an SVT212AV or SVT610HLF cab (also awesome tone)
    Another step in volume will lead you to your SVT CL and 810.

Or buy it all and you're always good! :D

dagrev and Rodrigues like this.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'd probably go V4B of that list. The B15 is nice, and the 25-30 watts can work if you're doing IEM/FOH gigs anyways, but if you liked the SVT heft and EQ the V4B is going to be closer in a smaller package. Not exact, I think the V4B is a little flatter/more even sounding than the SVT at similar settings, but you can dial up a little more mids and lows on the V4B and be in the same territory as the SVT easily enough, as long as the volume works for you.

dagrev and Rodrigues like this.
  4. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    Yes all Amps would be nice. :)

Somtimes i hit the bass very hard, depends on the music. I am not sure if it works with a B15.

5. FMBassist

FMBassist

Nov 27, 2017
    Milford PA
    Perhaps you may consider a PF350 head. It will work with a B15 cab and puts out a hefty 250 watts at 8 ohms, or 350 at 4 ohms. I'm sure that in Germany, you can get a cable from the head to the cab. Use the 350 for when you need the power or use the B15 head if not that much power is needed. Assuming that the B15 has the B15 head. Its another way to go and you may save a bunch of money. Guten Tag.

6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I'm sure it will, no more or less than with a V4B or SVT CL.
    (I'm a hard hitter myself)