1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA110 Potential issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SJ Sadler, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SJ Sadler

SJ Sadler

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey there good denizens of TalkBass! First post here, so I'll try and make it a good one!

I just purchased my first bass amp, which is a Ampeg BA110, and had some odd noises I'd figure I would ask about. The one that first worried me was the fact that after turning off the amplifier at the switch, the speaker keeps running for a second or so, before making a pop, and no longer amplifying notes anymore. I wondered if this is influenced by the fact I'm using an adapter on the kettle lead as I'm using a European kettle lead for now.

As well as that, I've picked up on some hiss whenever I turn up the bridge pick up, which isnt present when doing the same with the neck pick up, so I figure I've isolated that to my Ibby.

Thanks in advance for any insights or comments!

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Lots of amps will pop when turned off, especially if the gain is high. Try turning down the volume on the amp prior to shutting it down.

And hiss can be heard through many amps when the treble is turned up. It stands to reason that the bridge pickup, being in a more treble-oriented string position will be more prone to generating hiss.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The amp will operate until the power supply caps drain of their charge. I understand your description of the kettle lead as the standard IEC cable. What happened to the power cable that came with the amp??

Hiss or hum? Either is more likely, from your description, to be coming from the bass.

4. SJ Sadler

SJ Sadler

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. Turning the volume down had little effect, as did turning the volume up before powering down, and so long as it isnt an issue with this amp in particular then thats salved my worrying mind. :D

Well, the local company that shipped my amp to me (darn nefariously cheap internet prices!) also sent me a European kettle lead, despite me being located in England. I am getting a replacement though, so the adapter is a quick fix.

Seems that my worries about both noises were unfounded, which is great, as I love this little amp so far!

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

My BA210 popped every time I turned it on, it was apparently normal operation.

I won't scare you with my horror story of ownership, but I hope yours serves you well, the tone out of it is pretty solid.

6. SJ Sadler

SJ Sadler

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, the tone seems pretty solid so far. More weird noises though. After a little while of playing, I noticed that hitting a low note, basically anything below B on the E string cause a crackle to come from the amp as well as the note. Very odd.