1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA112 - is it me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EagleMoon, May 5, 2010.

1. I went to GC the other night and picked up one of these little combos. Seemed okay in the store (much better sounding than any of the Acoustic stuff they had) but I can't seem to get a sound I like out of it. The thing doesn't seem to have enough bass, and the Style knob just seems to add high mids and take out bass.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's not just you, I hate those things. Owned and played on a bunch of the BA combos and they all stink.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The BA112 was my first amp. It was okay as a practice amp, but not much more. It sounded best with a SansAmp running into it. On it's own, I liked setting 3 the best, which I believe is "flat".

My BA112 has been replaced with a B-100R, which is MUCH better sounding.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The BA112 is a great little practice amp, but at 50 watts and a single 12, it's not a miracle worker. Sounds like you really want a bigger amp. Not many amps in this catagory will have great tone. In fact, I can't think of any, until you move up to the 100+ watts, and bigger speaker models.

5. I was looking for a little practice amp and tried the BA112. The thing rattled like crazy. Thinking it was just that amp I tried 3 more and they did the same. Rattled like crazy and sounded terrible. I had a BA115 and it was a good amp but it lacked a little power for being 100 watts.

6. 69LesPaulBass

69LesPaulBass

Mar 11, 2010
    Toronto
    +1

7. I don't want it to be a miracle worker, I want it to have decent tone, which means balanced across the board. Even though it's not loud, the tone is really blah, no matter how I set it. I'm just surprised because compared to the other combos in the store, it sounded the best, which is why I brought it home.

It doesn't rattle or hum or anything, but I have to put the bass knob at 10 just to get some decent low end out of it. That just doesn't sound right.

8. Its not just you! I have yet to find an Ampeg that I just had to have. I love my Eden head and cab.

9. 69LesPaulBass

69LesPaulBass

Mar 11, 2010
    Toronto
    What bass are you using? What are the setting on the amp?

10. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    The Style knob:

1 -25 dB @ 500 Hz
    2 -12 dB @ 500 Hz
    3 Flat
    4 +5 dB @ 2000 Hz and above
    5 -6 dB @ 50 Hz and below

I have an older model BA210, and I leave it at 3 myself.

Hmm...what bass were you using at the store? Was there other guitar/bass players making lots of background noise? Was the amp in a corner?

As far as having to turn the bass knob up to ten, I agree, something does not sound right. :meh:

11. Basses? Peavey USA Millennium, Sadowsky RV4, Fender Lyte, Squier Classic Vibe P bass. Have tried it with them all.

Settings...I fiddled with the settings quite a bit. Moving the style knob and then tweaking the Treble/Mid/Bass knobs trying to get a tone I liked.

12. The basses I used were an MIA Standard Fender jazz and P bass. I wanted to try them both. No, the amp wasn't in a corner. It was in the middle of the wall. Actually not a lot of background noise because I went early during the week. I've had Ampeg amps before which is why I thought this one would be okay.

13. I just scored a BA112 used (USA). It's my third Ampeg BA series combo. I think that the 112 has a very neutral sound, especially compared to the B100r. It's all in the voicing of the speaker combined with the amp, eq and cabinet. Try to remember that this box is just a hair larger than the BA110, and way smaller than Ashdown's Perfect 10. The BA112 may be the perfect small rig for acoustic jazz trios in a small venue. It's not a SVT, and can't be expected to rock like one. With a Sansamp VT Bass in front of it, and the eq adjusted appropriately, I find that it has more than enough bass and the neutral voicing lets the Sansamp speak loud and clear. The BA112 has a laid-back sophistication that is not for everyone. Point to consider, I play on flats, using Villex and Quarter Pound pickups - both bass-heavy. The BA112 has no problem handling it. Just my experience with USA gear.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I played one of these in a rehearsal studio a few years back. Pretty decent tone, but not nearly enough output - even jamming in a small room with just a drummer at low to medium volume.

I'd use it strictly as a personal practice amp - nothing more... :rolleyes:

MM

15. Well see, I want an amp that will let the natural tone of the bass come through, and this one doesn't. It seems to color the sound. I don't want to have to use a pedal with it to make it sound decent. I wouldn't expect it to sound like an SVT. It's only a 50 watt practice amp for gosh sakes. :D

I guess the reason I posted this thread is that I know these amps have a pretty loyal following, so I was quite surprised to not be able to really dial in a tone that I liked. I know this can all be personal preference, but I was just curious about what other people thought about this particular model.

16. Hi,
    Trying out gear at a music store is never a perfect science. I sympathize with your situation. "Tone" is so hugely subjective, no matter how much we try to quantify it. Will the retailer take it back? I'm not impressed with what I'm hearing about the quality of Ampeg's overseas stuff. They are in danger of becoming the next Behringer; except that there already is one Behringer, and that one is plenty.
    While most folks think of the BA112 as a purely practice amp, I know one guy locally who uses it exclusively for his jazz gigs (fretless), and he is always in demand. He also is a partner in the state's largest music retailer, so can have his pick of any rig he wants.
    As for me, I've become addicted to the Sansamp, so tone is a matter of turning a few dials and stepping on the button, no matter what I'm plugged into. Damn Tech21!

17. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned one briefly. It was a very nice home practice amp but was not useful beyond that, which is why I quickly let it go.

I loved the B100R, so much that I bought two of them! :smug:

18. jeffwo

jeffwo

Feb 16, 2010
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Hey - take it for what it is, a low priced pratice amp. I bought one a couple years ago and it was one of the best sounding small combos available, and at well under $300 it's a good deal. I've useit at rehearsals with a drummer and it is pushing to keep up, but does so decently. It sure beats plugging in to this to practice than putting the stack together.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed - IMO, ANY Ampeg combo is craptacular when A/B'd with a used head/cab in the same price range...

- georgestrings

20. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    ^^^This.

I own a BA115, and feel it's a great practice amp, and could use it for small jams(probably mostly acoustic gigs). I wouldn't say that it's an example of good tone though.