Ampeg Baby Bass-date/mods

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by hernameisrio, Nov 19, 2015.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    hey guys.
    I took a look at that Ampeg Baby Bass I've had my eye on.
    It has an Azola wood bridge and what I'm assuming is an Azola pickup. The pickup is wired/clipped to the bridge with a really small length of cable.
    I looked under the tailpiece and the serial is 000014.

What does it all mean??

Explain Like I'm Five.

Edit: I have photos if anyone thinks they can tell me more about why there is no Ampeg logo on the scroll AND no aluminum/carved tailpiece AND what's up with the pickup, because I have no idea. The closest I've ever been to an Ampeg Baby Bass in real life prior to this, was the one I saw at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. :p

If the aluminum tailpiece is in fact supposed to be there and is missing, should I talk the guy down or is that weird? And I'm also worried it's not the original pickups AT ALL, not just a mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i dont know much about baby basses, but my main question would be, does the original pickup work as well. if they both work then that would be pretty cool. the thing that sets the ampeg apart from other eub is that special pickup and that's a huge part of its signature tone for salsa music that we've become familiar with. with the other pickup you would be able to get a more traditional piezo tone as well, but if the original pickup didnt work i would personally pass on it and investigate other eubs...

3. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    How do I know it's the original pickups in there though? This one LOOKS like just an addition to the bass. It sounds a little warmer than what I expected, probably due to the wood bridge as well. But I can't tell if what I'm hearing is also the original, because I haven't heard/seen enough of these to know.

ETA: I have an Ampeg Baby Bass replica by Guilin with magnetic pickups and a wood body. I love it but would love to have the real thing if the opportunity came up.
    ETAA: (Edited To Also Add) The tag on the bass says "factory electronics with additional pickup installed."

If anyone can tell me what's up with the tailpiece and if this is how it was made or if the tailpiece is missing, that would also be helpful. <3

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    you know if the origional pickup is working by plugging in to it and not into the added pickup. there are 2 outputs on the bass...

5. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm actually really smart, I promise.

6. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    OMG YOU GUYS
    I'm in love.
    [​IMG]

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021