Ampeg combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jamesbond, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Jamesbond

Dec 6, 2003
    San Diego
    My teenage son is looking for a bass amp, used since he can't afford a new one.

we are interested in Ampeg B100R or BA-115. But don't know the difference between the two. Does anyone have experience with them and tell me what's difference and recommendation? He has a Fender Jazz delux 5 string and plays rock/jazz.

thanks for your help
  2. There are alot of threads here in praise of the B-100R.
    I just picked one up for my son and it has a great classic tone. Real easy to dial in and plenty loud for a band. Makes any bass sound sweet.
    I don't know as much about the BA-115, I think it has built in effects like a chorus and also has the CD player input. I've not heard the raves about this unit as I have the B100, so that's why I went with the B100 and I am not disappointed, My son just loves it.

The B100 has a headphone jack, a line out (1/4" not XLR), inputs for active and passive bass. It has treble, mid lows, mid highs and bass controls and also has three contour buttons. One boosts the sub bass, One scoops out the mid's and one boosts the highs, similar to the buttons on a GK800RB.
    You can get them on E-Bay for about three bills, some slightly less others slightly higher. There's always one or two on there. From what I've seen the BA115 go for around the same price.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck!
  3. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got a BA-115. Very nice combo (just played it out last night) :bassist:
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go for the BA210 from Ampeg. It is a combo with two 10's. It also has a built-in tuner, and some excellent pre-sets for a variety of tones.

5. When I bought my BA115 I compared it closely to the BA210. I ended up going with the 115 because it sounded louder and fuller and I felt it had more bass. I think the 210 is 200 watts compared to 100 watts on the 115, but my ears didn't hear the power difference. The 210 has a bunch of cool effects which are very fun, but it dosen't have a footswitch. Without a footswitch the effects aren't very useful in a live situation.

Anyways, I'm very happy with my BA115. It's loud enough and it has a nice full bottom end. Good luck!
  6. Jamesbond

Dec 6, 2003
    San Diego
    I could not find much info on this Ashdown mag combo. Is this very old model or has different name? The price is close to Ampeg B100R. Does anyone know about this Ashdown mag 200?
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yes, they are very good. Much fatter sounding than ampeg, very warm. If there was an Ashdown dealer around here and I had the money I'd be rockin an Ashdown. :bassist:
  8. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I tried the Ampeg BA210 and for 220w, it is VERY QUIET. I had to run my BTB405 through the 'passive' input jack, crank the post to ten and the pre to 5 in order to get enough volume. Unacceptable.

If you know what headroom is, don't bother with the BA210.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    JazzX.....I am by no means an expert, but I wonder if something was not right with the BA210 you were checking out.

Believe it, or not, but I used the exact same bass when I was playing on the one at the local music store. I also tried a Spector Q5 Pro. I had all kinds of volume at lower settings. I was able to jam with a drummer, and guitar player with no problems. I checked my settings a few times, and I still had plenty of room to turn up more if needed. We all even commented that we wondered how loud it would have been if we cranked it up.

I suppose there are alot of variables involved between our two situations also.

10. I've not played them but they get rave reviews and I have heard they are in fact better than the Electric Blue series.
    Seems like a killer deal. Check out Harmony Central for reviews, here is one for the Mag 200 12" combo.
    Ashdown Mag review
  11. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Could just seems that it should put out more for the wattage. That's the last time I buy an amp without trying it out first: I based my decision upon playing through a BA112 a couple of years ago, and that was a fine amp.
  12. Jamesbond you have pm
  13. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I really liked the B100r, but wound up purchasing the Ashdown Electric Blue 15 instead. It has a similar warm tone, but seemed a little more versatile. And it has a lot of nice extras like speaker extensions, sub-harmoniser (octave), and d.i. And it's about 15-20 pounds lighter. There have been a lot of good deals on new 150 watt models lately because they're being replaced by a 180 watt version. Check out and Also, the Ashdown website is GREAT AMP!
  14. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I had the chance to play through an Ampeg-BA112 today and it had a great tone with my 61 fender.