1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg combo ' recording question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gweb, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Gweb

Gweb

Jan 22, 2013
    Looking at using my new Ampeg BA112 for recording by using the line-out. The question I have (excuse my naiveity) is that the 'styles' knob offers 5 styles and they change the sound a lot (as you'd expect) - these 'styles'; are they a result of modelling in the same way Roland has COSM or something entirely different? I want the purest chain and want to avoid any modelling if possible.

Thank you for any advice.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing digital...just different EQ's that they call "styles." Near-flat is #3. That's what I usually stick with on those amps. Great amp, though...well better than its price tag.

3. Gweb

Gweb

Jan 22, 2013
    Thank you Jimmy; I've taken note of that; thanks again. I wonder, finding the best way to have the Bass go direct into my pre' - I can either Line-out from the Ampeg or I can hook my Bass up to my Boss GT100 unit and Line-out from that... one is digital and one is analogue I suppose. I will be experimenting this weekend but do you have any idea what might sound better? I'veheard the Gt100 can be great on Bass... but I like the idea of no 'simulation' which is all the Gt100 is doing, in reality.

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I wouldn't get hung up on preconceived notions of what won't work, especially when all of the available gear is designed to hit a modest price point.

IME, you can get really good results w/ modest gear, but the first key is listening without preconceptions for its limits and capabilities.

5. Gweb

Gweb

Jan 22, 2013
    Fair point, well made. I suppose we will see what the rest of our testing brings up. I just wonder whether emulation through an effects unit is as good, in my mind. But I appreciate what you're saying.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would think the BA112 would mic up really well. That said, I've never done it, and I've never listened to one outside of the confines of a music store to REALLY hear what it sounds like. But it sure sounds like it would mic up well to me. Emulation can be great, too. But I prefer using analog signal paths at the very least. Digital, to me, is more like a low-medium bitrate MP3 of a recording of a tube amp. However, I darn sure have used digital to record and I've made some very fine recordings with it. At home. In a real studio, I'd be very hard pressed to use digital.