Ampeg + Mesa Boogie??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Djeetn, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Hi everybody,

I'm planning on purchasing a Mesa Boogie 2x15 Deep Powerhouse cab. But is it wise to use an Ampeg B2R head on it? The cab is on 8ohm and the reason why I don't want to use Mesa heads is that they are way to expensive and that they aren't the best around. An other option is combining this cab with an Ashdown MAG 300R. Could somebody give me some advice on this topic?
    Thanks a lot.
  2. Not the best around?!! Pssshhhh!@ You about to getyoself slapped boy!

(only mildly kidding) Well, the B2R is slightly underpowered for what the 2x15 can take, but you're fine if you really want to soil all over a Mesa Cab with an Ampeg head.
  3. +1 Mesa heads are aswome.
  4. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    +1. I love my 400+.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Don't let Benjamin Strange (the resident Mesa expert) here that, he's liable to have a heart attack (Just kidding Benjamin, I appreciated your help with Mesa stuff very much).
  6. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Mesa rule with whatever they build cabs or head.

The mesa 2x15 is the best 2x15 on earth !
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I run my M-Pulse 600 through an Ampeg SVT-410E and of these days I'll get more money and then have best rig ever :).

PowerHouse 8x10

PowerHouse 2x15

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    8 ohm cabinets are always an "issue". They don't load most amps for full power, and they can't be re-wired to generally usable impedances. A 16 ohm cab can usually be re-wired to 4, but 8 can only go to 2, if that.

Mostly, they are good because two is a 4 ohm load.........

The B2R isn't going to be loaded much by a single 8 ohm cab....350W @4, but 200 at 8. In most cases, 200W is "close but not good enough". And some people perceive the B2R as not overly loud for the power......

So I hate to say it, but a B2R and a single 8 ohm cab might not be the best choice.

Maybe if you check it out first you will love it. And of course, a second cab, if you want to haul it, would let you get all the power you paid for......
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You could do it, but you would need two B2R heads. One driving each 15 inch speaker in the Powerhouse 2x15 cabinet.
  10. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I have a B2R head that I play through a Mesa Engineering 1X15. Sounds great. I don't know how it would be through a 2 X15. Mesa bass heads are $$$$ but they are worth it. I have a Venture 2X10 combo and it is sweet.
  11. Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks a lot for the great help :) .
    I appreciate it a lot. Mesa heads are indeed to expensive. I can't afford it right now. The reason why I choose a Mesa 2x15 DPH is that I tested one with an Ampeg head on it and it sounded awesome. I think it was a B 2R or a SVT III Pro. The sound was thick, punchy and fat and that's my vision of how a bass must sound like. The heartbeat of the band. The Mesa Heads are a little bit to pricy in Belgium. I think the 400+ costs around 2500 euro's = 3400 dollars. The Walkabout costs 1349 euro's = around 2100 dollars. Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll keep it all in mind.