1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ampeg or Ashdown for pubs and clubs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rob Gray, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Hi, I'm planning to start gigging around local pubs and clubs with my band 'The Pre-Amps', and I was wondering what amp would be best suited for me. I use an Epiphone Viola with flatwound strings mainly, but I also use an Epiphone Thunderbird, an Epiphone EB3 and a Fender Mustang (all with flatwound strings for a vintage sound). My band plays a mixture of music from The Beatles to heavier rock and roll / punk music, and I strive for a classic, clean, vintage 'McCartney' tone (mainly using a pick etc.) From what I've heard, Ampeg and Ashdown seem to be the way to go for a vintage tone, but I was wondering what people think would be the best make (and model) for my specifications. (I don't really want to pay over about £500 or so at the most if possible). Thanks in advance.

2. Welcome to the insane asylum! Can't help with your question, just wanted to give a shout out to the newbie.
    After you get a couple of recommendations, be sure to check out the TB classifieds.
    OK guys and gals, let's rally the troops and find this guy a rightous, fine amp.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. Thanks :D

4. Thanks, I'll have a look at the Aguilar.

john m likes this.
  5. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    You could always look at the Fender Rumble 500, which has a "Vintage" switch I believe. They get good write ups, and sit within the budget. Light as well for a 2x10 combo.

The Ashdown Rootmaster's were supposed to be pretty good, and not too expensive either.

I think that the fact you're using tape wound strings, your sound should come out as pretty "retro" anyway.

lazycat93 likes this.
  6. Thanks, I'll look into the Fender, but I'm really into the old-scool look of the Ampegs and Ashdowns. Thanks again

7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    The Fender's pretty innocuous looking, controls are at the rear, so all you see from the front is the black vinyl cab covering & the silver grille cloth. All very "traditional" Fender.

Plus you can pick it up with one hand, where the Ampegs & Ashdowns (especially the older ones!) are a 2 handed lift at least.

8. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    You should look into the Ampeg PF series.

bmax likes this.
  9. I think it's the best choice for what you are looking for. TH500 - 4lb 500w US made sounds great & reliable plus. . Has switchable power 110v/240v
    What more could you want? !!!!!

bmax likes this.
  10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    If you can deal with a combo that weighs in at about 100 pounds, look for an old Fender BXR 300C. A true monster, really sweet tone and very loud. Been using one for a few months and am looking for another. About $200 U.S.

11. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    I'm biased as I am an Ashdown artist but after 15 years of playing Ampeg I found Ashdown and have never looked back. It works for ME.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Ashdown UK NEO 210 Mini's weight about 37 lbs.

Ashdown ABM500 EVO II is my GO TO

But in certain applications the new RM EVO 800 is a BEAST!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    They all make fine amps but I always prefer to hear myself coming out of Ampeg gear.

13. Does anyone have any experience with the Ashdown RM-C115T-500-EVO 500w 1 x 15" Rootmaster Combo? It was recommended to me in PMT, and it sounds really nice and pretty versatile to my ears.

14. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I don't have much experience with the RM series from Ashdown other than in-store, but I do have plenty of experience with their MAG series. The heads are worth the prices they sell for used. The cabs aren't really worth it, in my experience. They were a bit boomy, and usually farted out well below their advertised power handling with very conservative eq settings, as compared to quite a few other cabs I had tried.

I know the RM is an evolution of the now discontinued MAG series, so hopefully they have fixed the issues with the RM.

Check the used market for some Ashdown ABM stuff as well.

15. Thanks for the advice, I've decided to go with the Ashdown Rootmaster Combo and it sounds really nice, very vintage and the distortion and sub octave effects are really nice too.

Skybone and Jeff Scott like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021