1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-115HE vs. PF-115LF when paired with PF-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisB2, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Did a search, didn't see this topic.

So after much yearning and deliberation I have finally decided to seriously consider :p getting a PF-500 and a PF-115(?) rig to add to the fambly.

I noticed on MusiciansFriend that the PF-500 is down to $379 now, I suppose due to the release of the PF-800 (which I'm not really interested in). I then noticed that if I buy the PF-115LF, at $350, I can save about 70 bucks over the $800 price tag of the PF-500/PF-115HE bundle. (Plus MF is having 15% off right now so a 500/115LF bundle can be had for about $620 brand spankin' new :eek: )

I see the main differences in the HE and LF is the LF lacks a tweeter (a good thing IMO), doesn't "flip" (don't care), slightly less power handling (not an issue with this rig) and is a little heavier (also don't care), and is ported (HE is sealed???). Ampeg's website lists both cabs together on the "PF" page as compatible so I would assume there's no problem with this pairing, but the questions I have are--

The LF also has a much narrower frequency response which I guess is where the "LF" suffix comes from...? How do you think the two would sound relatively speaking, tone wise considering the design differences/frequency response?

Do you own the 500/115LF? How do you like it?

Would you advise one cab or the other with this head and if so, why? Any other things to consider besides the information available online?

Has anyone heard these two configurations, made the side by side comparison?

For tone I like an old school thump that's not too dark. My main bass is a Fender P strung with TI Jazz Flats and I usually play with the tone knob all the way up.

I'm an internet shopper only, so trying them out at a store to compare for myself isn't going to happen. Any other thoughts you could share would be appreciated!

2. The 115LF is my favorite cab that ampeg makes right now. A pair of those would be killer with the PF-500.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Avoid mixing the cabs; it'll be OK, but a matched pair of either one would likely be better.

The LF is a good bit deeper than the HE; that plus the porting would lead me to expect it to sound bigger and louder than the smaller, sealed HE.

4. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I have 2 of the LF's and you wont lack anything with these cabs, surprisingly bright for a cab without a tweeter and plenty of low end...however I use two of them and havent ever used one cab by itself. I run mine with an SVT7 Pro

5. I have never tried the LF cabinets but I had a 115HE and really liked it. The tone was nice and full. You may think you don't care about the flip top but IMO it' a nice feature. Allows you to store the head inside the cabinet when transporting along with cords and other small accessories.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1.....

I also haven't tried the LF version, but I have one of the sealed HE version.
    This is the first and only 15" driver loaded cabinet that I've tried in 40+ years of tryin' to play that I can say I like!!!!!

7. Has anyone had any expirience pairing these two cabs? What would be the issues with pairing them? Or what would be the benefits? I would think it would be the best of both worlds. Ported and sealed plus the HE has the horn. There both 8ohms. Whatcha think? I'm about to pull the trigger on the pf500 115he combo and eventually get an extension. Thanks

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Nope.

Do some more reading around here; mixing cabs is kinda like mixing car tires; they usually work better when matched.

9. Well that Sucks. I wish the LF had the fliptop and the horn. The LF is labled an ext cab on MF web site. Ext cab for what? Ive read a bunch on mixing cabs and I thought it pertained more to driver size and or brands. Would phasing be the issue?

10. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Thanks everyone for the input...

I noticed the HE has the woofer offset in the cabinet to make room for the tweeter, whereas the LF has the woofer centered... which I would guess is preferred...?

Any thoughts about woofer placement inside the enclosure? Again, in so far as it being a factor in choosing between these two cabinets?

11. Felpsy

Felpsy

Mar 2, 2009
    England
    I'm having the same dilemma. Definitely picking up a pf500 but cant decided whether to go 115he or lf.

Would the 115he be considered more versatile due to the added horn? Or would the pf500 really benefit from being able to get a lower frequency from the 115lf?

Although I'm certainly swayed by the addition of having the flip top function, whats reallt most important is the tone, versatility and volume of the cab I choose.

Can anybody shed some more light on this topic?

12. I dont care for Ampeg's implementation of tweeters, and I dont prefer a sealed cab. The LF is my number one choice of Ampeg cabs right now.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Me personally, I'd tend to along with the first one most, although I get why folks don't dig tweeters (I'm not a big fan either). But the PF cabs have a really nice compression driver tweeter and it's crossed over at approx. the same point that the woofers stop producing highs, and if you're into tweeter sounds, then it will give you something the other cab won't, and it goes plenty low for my tastes. Other than that, it's basically a question of how super low you want to go.

PawleeP likes this.
  14. Shatmusket

Shatmusket

Aug 24, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I made the plunge and got one of each (PF115HE and LF) to go with my PF500 and I LOVE them together. I'm no pro or anything, far from it but this combo sounds awesome in my basement!

bmax and troubledog like this.
  15. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    I just pulled apart pf115he and was a little puzzled by fabricae en chini only using 4 screws to hold a 15 in a bass cab.
    I will probably test run this with a 70's V4 @ 8ohms to test it, if the speaker dosen't rattle or wheels/mounts fall apart again!
    wassup ampeg? are 4 more screws and t-nuts a big problem for your bottom line? dismayed, pawleep