1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-500 Vs. SVT-3 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubaman2, May 27, 2011.

1. tubaman2

tubaman2

Nov 18, 2010
    Hello all. I'm looking at buying one of these amps in the near future. As in probably today. I really like the tone of both of these amps. Bizarrely, I think I'm actually leaning towards the PF-500.

My question is, if anyone has experience with both, does the PF-500 provide enough power and oomph in a band setting? Like I said, I like the tone of both, with the PF-500 barely edging out the SVT-3 PRO, but if it's going to sound anemic in a band setting, I don't want to bother. So basically how do they compare when playing with other people, in anything from hard rock to hymns.

BTW, I should probably mention the SVT is used so it's only $50 more than the PF-500.

2. Mated with the right cab, they both are loud. I might even give an advantage to the PF500. With a 410HLF (or two PF cabs), I can't imagine not keeping up with almost any band...

BTW, how old is that used 3 PRO? I only wonder on the condition of the tubes. I think it uses 5, and would be a pricey replacement...

3. tubaman2

tubaman2

Nov 18, 2010
    Don't have a clue. I was testing stuff out at GC (I know, I know) and saw it there. Sounded good, but had a knob broken off. You could twist the peg just fine though lol. It didn't look very old. I actually couldn't see any difference between it and the new one they had there.

If the PF-500 has plenty of "oomph" then I'd say it's the clear winner. 50 bucks in my pocket and better tone. Sounds good to me.