Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Portabass 250 Watt Head

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kwd, Sep 2, 2004.

1. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Has anyone tried this amp for DB? I'm considering selling my Polytone on consignment and using the store credit toward another rig. It's a 'big-hair' store and they don't carry premium names like AI, Bergantino, Euphonic. They do carry SWR, Ampeg, G&K, Mesa, Eden.

2. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've seen it mentioned it their literature that it can be used for DB. I've never seen anyone actually using one for this purpose though. It might be best to just drag your bass to the store and give it a go. If you do, please post the result. I'd like to know the answer too.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have used the Ampeg PB250 for Double Bass in the past. It is a decent little head. Not particularly acurate, but it does a good job. It is not voiced flat. It is mainly for electric bass. Still, it is fairly light, easy to move around, and has enough power for most DB gigs.

4. BT3215

BT3215

Mar 3, 2004
    I have one and use it for DB. I use one of those Fishman direct box/eq's with it. Without it, it is hard to get the tone I want. With it, it sounds very good. Not great, but good. Small. Depending on the application, may not be loud enough.