Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cliff1908, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Cliff1908

Cliff1908

Jun 29, 2005
    Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a head to match my Ampeg BXT 410 HL 4 cabinet and I'm very interested in a Ampeg B4 head and a Ampeg SVT 3 Pro head. But I've noticed that the B4 head produces 1000 watt solid state power and the cabinet has a powerrating of 600 watt. Does that form any problem for both items (blowing my cab up, etc...)? I hope that there are a few people here that could help me out. The SVT 3 Pro is also on my list but many people told me that the B4 is a more then worthy investment.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There is no problem in using a higher wattage head than cab. You just don't turn it up all the way.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Keep in mind the 3 pro runs @ 4 ohms max and the BXT is rated @ 4 ohms, which prevents you from being able to add another cab... should the need arise. (unless you slave an additional power amp).

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    To be honest, I think 1000Watts is perfectly suitable for the BXT410 or most any cab rated at about 600RMS. I've run a B4R through mine before and it was awesome having all the extra headroom.

5. Cliff1908

Cliff1908

Jun 29, 2005
    Thank you all for the advice! I have heard many great comments about the Ampeg B4R head. The SVT 3 Pro head on the other hand is not that populair. I've tested the SVT 3 Pro head and it isn't that loud. Compaired with the B4R, it sounds so quiet. Perhaps I'll seek other combinations (for example: Ampeg B4R head + Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000). I'll see what I'll do. Thank you all very much for the response and the advice. Cliff!

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got an SVT-3Pro and it is not restricted to 4-ohms max. That is just incorrect. I use mine wiht a G-b XB410 and it is extremely loud. I think it is a very good amp and sounds great. Many people do not understand how it works, even some that own them. It is a complex amp. Take time to read the manual and understand it's controls and that time will turn into maximized tone, which I think is worth it.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.

Wow your 3 pro can run below 4 ohms? Thats amazing... they must have made a design change just for yours. Cliff1908 said he wants a "head to match" his BXT 410 HL (which is a 4 ohm cab). I simply pointed out that if he eventually wanted to hook up another 4 ohm cab to a 3 pro, the amp would run at 2 ohms. Try running your 3 pro at 2 ohms and let me know how it works. ;)

8. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    Hmm that's odd since mine has a notification at the outputs that says distinctly 4 ohm minimum.......
    Now the statment about how people percieve them as a "quiet" amp is more correct. The Master isn't an amplified curcuit as much as a limiter on how much volume is allowed out....
    The guy that I bought mine form used the water faucet as an analogy, want more sound? Open it up..... the power seems to be run from the gain control and the "crunchiness" of the tubes (what there are 6 of 'em I think?) is controled by the tube gain section, which seems to add no volume.... So for most app's you run the master wide open and use the gain and tube gain to get the tone you're looking for. I was quite intriqued by this and wondered why a master at all then, but I'm still figuring it out. Like my SVT3Pro alot, it drives a pair of 8 ohm 4x10's just fine. I can just barely hear the guitarists...hehehehehe
    I wish it had a second speakon connector however...

9. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    Interestingly right after I bought mine I mistakenly ran it into a 2 ohm load and it didn't appear to do harm, that is the magic smoke didn't come rushing out...... I only did it once and would not tempt the gods again.

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Ah, what you meant to say is that the SVT-3pro will not operate below 4-ohms. That is true. It will happily operate above that.

11. I own a SVT-3 and am quite happy with it. I don't know why they are making a big deal about it not being able to run below 4 ohms, as the majority of the amps out there are the same way. :rolleyes:

Joel

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yeah, but most of them have stereo capabilities that allow for the use of two 4ohm cabinets. This is the reason I purchased a power amp when I had 2 cabs.

Basically, if you have a 4ohm cab with a 3Pro, and you want more speaker surface... you've gotta ditch whatever cab it is you have. That tends to piss people off. If your in the same position with a B4, you can get another 4ohm cab and run it stereo. No, its not as much power, but the extra speakers will probably make you a hell of a lot louder than you were before.

13. Yeah, I've never had a problem with volume, but that might be because I am powering an 8X10. :D

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Bingo ;)