Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg SVP input jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    When I wiggle the cable at all, I get speaker destroyingly loud pops and volume jumps. I looked under the hood and saw that unfortunately the jack is right on the board. Anybody ever replace this with a floating jack, in other words, a different jack connected with wire? Is this something not reccomended?

I may just have a qualified tech do it, but I am handy with the soldering iron so if I can get some advice I'll give it a whack.

thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.

2. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, it seems to be attached to athe active/passive switch in some way, if I can figure it out, I may still try it.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    hey... let me know how that works out. Similar problems with mine (although I think mine's related to where the power supply attaches to the board).

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Are you sure theres not a hairline crack in the solder joint? those symptoms are typical of a cold solder joint.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I guess I will try to redo it this weekend then first, see what happens. I will post results.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Opened the cover, pushed down on it a little, heard an audible click, no more cable wiggle and it works just fine. :meh: go figure.