Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-2 comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ankka, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Ankka

Ankka

Jun 28, 2005
    Hello!

I have a few questions about new and older SVT-2 PRO heads.

What has changed in controls, new amp compared to 1991 built one? I've noticed that SVT-2 has more knobs nowadays.

Has the basic sound of this amp changed from 1991 built model (compared to new SVT-2)? Of course better adjustment possibilities make possible more sounds but how about the "basic sound"? I know this is not an easy question..

What I'm often thinking is also that is it possible to get overdrive from both of these amps (new and 1991 built)? I've heard lots of good about SVT-2's overdrive knob but what I don't know is if it's the same thing in old and new amps.

Is there any common failures in new or older SVT-2 heads?

Thank you!

2. the older SVT-II's have a completelly different pre section that is closer to the original than the SVT 2 Pro (from what i believe)

The first few batchs of the SVT 2 Pro's had a dodgy protection circuit, from what ive seen, most SVT 2 Pro's are reliable now, and the SVT-II is also a very reliable amp (never had any problems or heard anything that bad about it)

As for the controls, i can remember of the top of my head that the Pro has a Pre gain control, active/passive pad and a 9 band instead of 7 band EQ

[​IMG]

I love posting pics of my SVT II :) , there you can see the controls on the front and how they differ from the SVT-2 Pro