1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 50th Anniversary Edtition

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clap Trap, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    BOOM!

Ed Byrnes, oZZma, Burwabit and 25 others like this.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    OMG! This is THE ONE!!!!!

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Really?
    This is something new for 2019?
    So the changes are going back to what was done in the 60's and 70's which IMO is mostly graphics and using tubes that are available.
    I've never noticed that much difference between old and new SVT's and I'm willing to be that a standard CL would get really close to this "special 50th anniversary head".

Granted, there is probably not that much could be improved on the old platform.
    I was hoping for a new original idea from Ampeg for 2019 as it's been awhile.
    Thought that perhaps the Yamaha purchase had something to do with some new designs / ideas that Ampeg was working on.
    Here's to hoping that this is the case and that something new will appear in the near future.

4. Sounds great especially with both channels jumped, 6146's are still very easy to get and are actually cheaper.

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Call me old (which I am) and sentimental (which I am) and someone who no longer needs a heavy 300 watts tube amp (which I don't) but this just makes me drooooooooooooooollllllldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool
    Common sense tells me my Super Bassman or a CL will do the same job but I can't help but want it.

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    From the digging I have done, the preferred tube would be the 6146B and a matched NOS set is almost impossible to find. 6146W are available, but I don't get the idea there is a bunch of NOS supplies left of those either. There are current production Chinese 6146Bs available, but reviews suggest low manufacturing quality and reliability problems.

Here are my notes:
    6146B are 35W max plate dissipation. There is confusion on whether 6146W is 35W or 25W. Some claim that W's made after a certain time around 1964-65 were 6146B spec, and earlier tubes are 6146A spec. 6146W Information:. Others claim all varieties except 6146B are 25W; essentially all 6146Ws are just ruggedized 6146As.

The only datasheet I have found is for the RCA 6146W. It appears to be dated 9-65 and indicates 25W max plate dissipation (ICAS). No 6156W datasheets listing 35W have been located.​

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    cerrem likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whoa! Can't wait to try this puppy out!

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
  9. I have 6293's in one of my transmitters, they're like ruggedized 6146's Supposedly, the 6146W's were supposed to be work in place of both As and B's but don't work well as a sub for A's.

http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=TF-6883

Wasnex likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it.

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Japanese in general, and Yamaha in particular, have never shied away from new and interesting designs. They also place a very high importance on legacy.

I'm sure they are taking a second to figure out how to be mindful of both aspects moving forward. They won't just trash whatever got the Ampeg name where it is today (the past). But you can bet they will incorporate interesting twists soon.

11. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    man that sounds good...

SactoBass and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Bob, given the limits of the sound recordings proffered in the clip -- any thoughts on the "dual voicing" strategy they took here? Sounds useful to me. But can we infer that they voiced channel one to break up earlier than it ordinarily would?

I love my V-4B but would love one of these for more clean headroom.

Thanks!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Where are they being built, when will they become available to the general public and is there any indication what the price will be?

Murdernickle and SirMjac28 like this.
  14. So a normal svt-vr is more like channel 2 of this 50th?

Son of Wobble likes this.
  15. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    +1

Murdernickle likes this.
  16. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    Designed & Assembled in the USA

17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Given that it’s the 50th anniversary of this monumental amplifier, it’s nice that they are recognizing it with this special revision. I bet that it does well.

It’s also impressive that 50 years down the road, there are still a lot of original SVT amps out there in service. I have a restored 1971 that’s better than new. My 1963 B15N is 56 years old and it too is in top shape. Both sound fantastic. A tribute to the designers.

Who would ever have thought that these amps would still be desirable, so many years later.

18. BOOM, INDEED!

DJ Bebop, SactoBass and bobyoung53 like this.
  19. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it too!

SactoBass and lowplaces like this.
  20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You might notice that Channel 2 has Volume, Bass, Treble. So what he says and what you get are a bit different. My guess is they voiced Channel 2 to be a bit more like a mid 70s Channel 1, but you still only have the functionality of Bass and Treble controls. Honestly I would rather have the original Channel 2 voicing as it is actually very cool. I believe it's like a B15.

In the original amps Channel 1 had three 12DW7 tubes and channel 2 had a single 12AX7. The SVT VR subs 12AX7 and 12AU7 for the 12DW7s in Channel 1. So you get the same gain structure.

Explanation. 12AX7, 12AU7, and 12DW7 are all dual triode tubes. With 12DW7, one triode is equivalent to 12AX7 and one triode is equivalent to 12AU7.

The vintage amps also used a 6C4 tube to blend Channel 1 and Channel 2. The 6C4 is a single triode tube equivalent to one side of a 12AU7.