Ampeg Svt 8-pro, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by colin_028, Jan 23, 2009.

1. colin_028

colin_028

Jan 1, 2009
    looking for a new amp head, the 8pro sounded great, wondering if there was anyone with good or bad things to say about it? a few things that really caught my eye was that it is a hybrid but has driver tubes as well as preamp tubes, you can also oversrive the tubes to get that svt sound without the crazy volume, it aso outs out 2400 watts:)!!

2. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Well yeah the SVT-8PRO is the cat's meow if you need to drive a pair of cabs from one amplifier. Also like you said the Overdrive knob is there too.

The problem is this thing is one of those products that's hung up in the CHINA SYNDROME so we'll probably be old and even grayer before we actually see these things. The ones out floating on the market are BTS repaired B stock units from the first production run. I wouldn't buy one.

They don't have the features of the 4PRO, but was built for a different purpose. I'd most likely have a bunch of them here if they actually existed. Only time will tell. I've had one on backorder for 5 months. I feel I'll never see it. BOB

3. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    Played through one a year or more ago and loved it, been waiting for it to hit the market for over two years!! And still no sign of it, 'tis lost in China and can't get out of their factory.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Interesting concept, and alot of wattage, but the state of Ampeg currently would make me very leary. Love my SLM 6Pro to death, at *only* 1100 watts, it's a tone monster. The driver tubes do add tons of character and beef. If you can find a used SLM Pro series amp, get it. Otherwise, I think I'd pass on anything from LOUD.

5. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    RB, I remember you as another 6Pro owner and fan. Very happy with mine too, no need to make a change and patiently waiting to see if the 8Pro (or next generation) ever arrives to market.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I'm with you. Plus, even if it does make it to the streets, I'd be very suspicious of it's reliability right off the bat. The SLM products, otoh, are as good as it gets, imo.

7. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    I actually managed to score a MIA 8Pro last Fall via a reputable seller on eBay, and FedEx badly damaged it during shipment ... foiled!

8. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    about 3 years ago I had one on order.. it was on order for a year. and never materilaized . but i was patient....so i moved on.. From my experience The SLM products were incredible... just great.... I would be hesitant to get the offshore one with what is going on with LOUD at this time.. but that is in another thread now.

9. How good is the built in compressor in the 6 PRO? I truly hate GAS, I have a SLM B4R and am very Happy, I saw a SLM 6 PRO at a local music shop and tried it out a bit, but I didn't like it ... BUT I am now wondering if it was because it was being pumped through a LOUD tech. 8x10AV, I am thinking about going back and seeing if they will trade me? Thoughts comments? Thanks and Cheers.

10. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Maybe the crickets cheerp is speaking to you? :)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Never played an amp that had a good compressor inside. Not a single one as of yet. So therefore, even though I have not tried the 8 Pro (have played the 4 Pro a few times and used to own a 3 Pro), I'm going to put money on the compressor being crap in the 8 Pro just like in the other ones.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As to the comp in the 6Pro, I don't know. I use a TRex Squeezer in front of mine, and never even tried the built in comp. I just assume it's not so great, (only one knob to tweak it with), compared to my stomp comp. Besides, I didn't get a 6Pro for that feature,..it was all about the tone and power.

14. colin_028

colin_028

Jan 1, 2009
    didn't reali\e they were on back order, i thought that musiciansfriend had some in stock. but i am interested in looking at the 6pro, it is designed to be similar to a 3pro just louder, i think. i like the fact that it has the driver tubes, not just preamp tubes. i am very out of the loop with what is going on with ampeg, ii know that they aren't being made in america any more, but what do you guys mean when you say slm and loud?

15. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    SLM is St Louis, Missouri ... Made in USA. Loud Technologies is the current owner of Ampeg that moved manufacturing overseas to Asia, etc.

16. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    To clarify, SLM = St Louis Music ... Made in USA

Loud now owns the Ampeg brand and manufactures in Asia.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021