1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-CL tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Winding_Wheel, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I have an SVT-CL which I purchased about 2 1/2 years ago, and last week I noticed one of the tubes was not lighting up when I fired her up. The bias indicator lights were also showing that there was a bias issue. I removed the faulty tube and placed it into another socket to ensure that it was indeed just a bad tube and it checked out. After deliberating for a while I decided to order an entire new set of Sovtek 6550WE's which the amp came stock with in the first place. My question is this: Since the amp has the bias indicator LED's, would it be feasible for me to replace the tubes and bias them myself? Or would it be wise to take the amp and new tubes to a tech to let him do it? I have very little experience with tube replacements. Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If it were me, I'd have it done professionally, for peace of mind. I have a great deal of experience with electronics in general, but always use a tech for my amps.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I'll be the whipping boy....
    I never took my svt to a tech to change tubes. I always used the lights and a careful listen and would check weekly to see f it was still "good". amp always performed and sounded flawless...
    in full disclosure, my new tubes seemed to be very close to the old ones as far as rating because it never took more than 1/8 a turn in either way to get an all green. if they had been radically different I would've taken it in.

ps... I know nothing about electronics.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yes.

Also, yes.

If the new drop in tube is working, and the new full set is working fine, then the bias lights should get you in the ballpark. That is, after all, what they're designed for. It's not perfect, and not as well calibrated as having a tech do it right, but it should be fine. The concern is that when the tube failed it may have damaged other components. If that amp is working, then you're probably okay.