Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    By request of another tb'er I am starting a thread about a new Ampeg Amp (The SVT-VR) that's going to be coming out after NAMM this year. It's supposed to be just like the SVT-Classic but have a preamp section like the Original SVT from the 70's. It also has cosmetics like the original. I have e-mailed Ampeg for some pics and they sent me some. I don't really know how to put pictures on but I'll try. If I am unable to put them on here I'm sure you could e-mail Ampeg and they'd send you some pics. If you click the link the picture should come up. (tell me if it doesn't work please)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27718&stc=1

Attached Files:

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I don't know so I have to ask, what's the difference between the newer pre-amps and the 70s pre-amps?

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I've been wondering that too! I'll e-mail Ampeg and ask them! :help:

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'd like to subscribe to this thread. Could be really good, especially if the amp isn't much (if any) more than the SVT-AV. I'd really like to try one out.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The 70s preamps used 12WD7s in the preamp, and also IMHO sounded less muddy than the modern day SVT-CLs.

Now I just wonder if they'll make the cabs out of plywood and sound not as muddy as well...

6. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    does anyone have any links or anyother info about this new amp???

7. This has me interested.....so a 70's pre on the front....you mean like the SVP-CL?
    So is this SVT-VR just the SVPCL with the power section?

8. Looks cool. Keep us posted!

9. Sounds like the SVP-CL with the CL/2-Pro power section, could be sweet!

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I'm looking for an amp with really warm, smooth lows and crisp highs. Am I better off with SS than Tube?

11. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    That's what it sounds like to me too.

I've looked on the internet and can't find any info either. I only found out about it because my local Bass Shop happened to have just recieved one copy of the 2006 Ampeg Catalugue. You'll probably have to e-mail ampeg to get the extra info about it, that's what I did.

I can't wait till it comes out! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

12. For warmth, tube all the way i'd say, i see your looking at either a CL or 2-Pro soon? Look into the older Ampeg SVT-II non-pro model, to me it sounds a hell of alot better than either of the current all tube heads :)

Where is Jerrold, we need confirmation and more info on this head! :)

13. Hahaha, very true!

14. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It sounds like it had potential. Worryingly I made a prediction that Ampeg would clone a 70s SVT for the next version and that everyone would slate it as the worst ever regardless despite it sounding exactly like a 70s SVT, I was being cynical about the whole vintage thing again :).

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I'm right here, but I'm not saying anything until after the official release at NAMM.

I actually was not aware that there was advance notice being given, I thought it was going to be a "surprise"......

16. Hmmmmm, hope it is what we think it is :D

17. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Man, it sure looks like it.

four inputs? check
    four knobs & three rocker switches on channel one? check
    three knobs & two rocker switches on channel two? check

It looks indentical to an early 70's SVT except for the logo and handles.

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    That's great news...if this SVT I've been using for the past 20 years tanks, I'll be able to buy a new one that should easily outlive me... ;)

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Maybe they can put it in a replica case made out of carbon fiber. I'm sure the tolex and original hardware could be glued on there somehow. And maybe I could live with a couple of torroidal transformers instead of the ten pound units in the original. Just imagine a 1970 SVT that weighs 40 pounds. I'll take two!

20. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't think it's gonna use the SVP-CL preamp, as that's what's in the current SVT-CL!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.