Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg V-2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Dec 10, 2005.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    So i was at my local guitar shop and noticed an old Ampeg Bass Head hidding in the corner. The tag just said 1970s era V-2 Bass amp. I looked on the internet for a bit for information and all i found out was that an Ampeg V-2 is a guitar amp. But who knows if this is true. Anyone know where i can find infor on the ampeg v-series amps specfically the V-2???

2. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    It's a 60 watt guitar head, but it would sound good with bass at lower volumes.

its the little brother of the V4.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Even if it's a guitar head, it'll work fine as a bass head.

Probably sounds kickass pushed hard.

4. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    haha so i got one guy saying it will sound good a low volumes and another that says it will sound great at high volumes which one is it!!!

5. I ran sound at an event a few months ago and one of the band's bass players had a V2.

It did not have near enough volume to be heard at all, and they weren't a very loud group by any means.

Both of the posts earlier were correct, but in different ways. Keep the volume knob low, and the V2 has a good clean tone. Turn the volume up, and the amp begins to break up. A good tube-breakup sound, but the volume level will still be relatively low (for bass).

Unfortunately the amp runs out of steam way too soon to make this a good gigging bass amp.

6. elteye

elteye Commercial User

Jul 12, 2009
    Teye, luthier, owner of Teye-guitars
    Agree. The V-2 is way underpowered to be a good bass amp. Also the circuit is voiced to give a fairly early breakup. The V-2 runs on much higher voltage than the V4 which is on paper almost identical. The V-4 (or V-4B) is a way better bass amp, but why not shoot for the SVT?

I DO like the V-2 for guitar, but I do play very very loud (like we did in the 1970's, before the curtain came down on ...well, everything... and they started putting Master Volumes on amps)

$$$ Anyone interested in selling me their V-2 heads?

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    IIRC the V2 used a pair of 6CA7s for about 50W output. In todays world that won't take you too far though some manage with that amount of power. I once played an ice rink with a VOX AC30B and that's a 30W amp with two twelves in an open backed cabinet. It wandered around the stage a bit but it handled everything I threw at it. I was actually very surprised.

Paul

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    7027s, but yes, about 50 watts was the rating.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Not a bad amp, that is for sure.

10. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I had one of these for years and i can honestly say its the best ever guitar amp ever made.
    I tried it every now and then on bass and it sounds great, but not nearly enough power for a rock band, which is what the sound it delivers is suitable for.

11. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Fair enough, I'll go by your correction but still 50W out. :(

Paul

12. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Nah! The best ever guitar amp was the VOX AC30TB. Followed closely by the '59 Bassman.

Paul

13. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Geez , I should stop posting till I'm a tad more sober!!! GNGB one and all! Sleep well.

Moi