1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg v4 vs v4b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Apr 3, 2015.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My bands drummer has an early 70s v4 w/4x10 cab that I'm lucky enough to get to use for rehersals and gigs. It sounds amazing. I also read a lot about the v4b, as well as the v4b reissue. Are these basically all the same inside?

I would appreciate answers that don't get too technical, but am interested in knowing the difference(s). Thanks!

2. The V4 (VT-22 in combo form) has some effects built in the V4-B does not. Those parts and pieces have a place on the boards in the V4-B, but they were not installed.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Also, the reissue is different from the V4B. Different tubes, different transformers. Call the reissue an updated modern revision based on the original.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    B-string likes this.
  4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Read Tom Bowlus' review in the latest Bass Gear Magazine issue 16. There is also an extra report in "From the Bench" at the end which directly compares the V4 with the V4B.
    You can read a free flipbook version online, but I reckon we should support Tom and his mates and buy the downloadable version :).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    tombowlus likes this.
  5. waltdogg

waltdogg

May 24, 2014
    The three main differences between the 70's V-4 and V-4B are the V-4 has selectable input gain for each channel's input while the V-4B has fixed input gain and a treble bleed fixed on its inputs, the V-4 has a switchable bright circuit while the V-4B has ultra-hi and ultra-lo circuits, and lastly the V-4 has reverb while the V-4B does not. They feature the same tubes in both amps (minus the V-4's reverb driver and recovery tubes not found in a V-4B), I'm almost 100% certain they feature the same tone stacks and output sections are the same. There are also the later 70's master volume and distortion channel V-4s. No experience with them. No experience with the new V-4B either. But I've owned several V-4s and V-4Bs from the early 70s and one late 70s V-4B.