Ampeg V4B Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Oct 15, 2003.

1. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I searched the forum and found some useful information, but I was hoping for some insight specific to my situation which is:

Anyone who owns one or played one:

If I bought this, I would run it through a SVT 410-HLF cab. I use a P-Bass (pasive instrument).

Would this amp be able to keep up with my band. We play classic rock covers. Here are the members setups:

Guitar 1: Fender Champ most of the time - 30 Watts Tube with 12inch extension cab.

Guitar 2: Crate 100 SS Watts - not as loud to me as the 30 Watt amp. with 412 cabinet.

Drums: Micd though PA

PA: 300 Watts PA with 2 Sonic 15" speakers. We don't use the PA during rehearsal except for drums/vocals.

When I was running 100 Watts solid state through a 1 X 12, it was not loud enough at all. I currently have a 350 Watt SS head that I crank to 80 - 90% volume most of the time.

Would 100 Tube rock it, or wait to get more power.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Its hard to say wether or not it will be loud enough with headroom. I could say yes but I really dont know. I have the SVT-CL running through the 410 HLF. That I can say would be loud enough. If you can afford it go for the CL. Im never disappointed when I play through it! :bassist:
  3. 100 Tube Watts would cover it. I've never been a big fan of 4x10's, though, so I'm not entirely familiar with that setup. I used my V4B with a huge 1x18 sugar-scoop cab and I kept up with (3) 4x12 halfstacks each with 50 Watt tube heads on them.

I'd say that the V4B through a 4x10 would hang with what you listed.

4. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Cool, thanks! I like the HLF becuase it is front ported and gives me maximum bass reponse. Its also a 4ohm cab, so I use it stand alone.

I can't imagine a 1X18 cab!! That must have been some sonic boom.

Any other useful info about the V4B that any prospective buyer should know?
  5. JonB

May 27, 2003
    Is this a new V4?
    If so, the stock tubes can be improved on. Mine came with 5881's, Russian 12ax7's and a Chinese 12au7.
    The small tubes were replaced with Electro-harmonix tubes, and the power tubes are Svetlana 6l6gc, which put out a little more wattage than the 5881's. This sounds a lot better than the stock tubes, and now I have a spare set.
    You might want to get a bias meter, if you're comfortable with checking that yourself. Otherwise, the bias should be checked periodically. The power tubes drift as they age.
    I love this amp - it's very reliable and always sounds great. Good luck with yours.
  6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    On the V4B I will agree with Psycho Bass Guy (who hasn't posted on this)....the new ones seem pretty different and are clearly not the same as the old.

Not that they suck, but the two are NOT the same.
  7. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Actually, I am intending to get a 70s one. I am looking used rather than new. I am in no rush to get one,so I will be keeping an eye out for good deals.

What would you say is a fair price for a 70s VB4 in good condition? I think they run around $400 - $450 used on ebay. Is this accurate?
  8. I run a 70's V4 into an SVT410HLF (now using an 8x10) - yes, it's loud, and the HLF cab goes loooowwww...

Plenty loud enough for what you're describing.
    JJ 6L6 tubes are fantastic for the power section!

I might have a 70's V4B for sale soon (been sitting in the US collecting dust for some time now!).
  9. The V4-B's seem to go for more than the regular V4. Basically the same amp, only minor differences in the tone control--and the V4 has reverb.

The V4 works great for bass, too, just turn the reverb knob all the way down! So save a few bucks and get the V4 instead of the V4-B. Prices should be arouynd $300 to $350 for a V4.

P.S. Yes I do have an early 70's V-4....
  10. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Thats Mean!! You say you got one for sale soon, but you live half way across the globe from me!!

I was going to ask you to keep me in mind :bawl:
  11. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    The only difference is Reverb? Does the V4B have a bass boost or different midrange?

Also, how has the amp served you?

12. A-ha! You didn't read my post completely did you? ;) It's been sitting with a friend in Scottsdale AZ since I bought it online a few years ago (and then I found a V4 locally). Still sitting in it's packaging from when I bought it!

The obvious difference between the V4 and the V4B is the addition of the Ultra-Low switch on the V4B (which I believe simply cuts 300Hz frequencies to make the rest appear boosted) and the reverb (which does sound nice on bass, if that's your cuppa tea).
    I find I run the bass control on my V4 at maximum to get enough shake, so the voicing for Bass, Mid, Treble might be different to that of a V4B.

My V4 has been stellar for live work, but these days I play through a Eden with a SansAmp Tri-AC at the front (to give me that SVT/V4 sound) purely for the size/weight factor. I'll still pull out the V4 for a gig or practise though - nothing like a big vintage Ampeg sitting on an 8x10! :D :D :D
  13. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Well then, if you ever decide to unload it, AZ is within the realm of reality!! I would be interested in hearing what you want for it.