Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Mar 4, 2005.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I was looking into buying the BA500 combo, What is everyones thoughts on it? Has anyone used it? What are some other good combos any sugestions? I want something powerful, with a punch and a very low end. Thanks for any info. :bassist:
  2. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    They should change their name to garbagepeg.
  3. Or maybe usedtosoundgoodpeg but that was 30 yrs ago !!
  4. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I tried the BA-500 it sounds good, or maybe it was because it was using a $1000 bass. Anyway if you want a better low end i would suggest getting something other than a 2 x 10.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    So I see nobody likes them. Well any sugestions on anyother brand? I am willing to spend $1400 so give me some ideas PLEASE. :help:
  6. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Honestly? why so negative over Ampeg. Is this Combo really that bad?

I have an SVT2pro so not something I can compare to the combo.. but the SVT is a great amp...

Maybe someone could enlighten us over the 'newer' ampeg equipment?
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

Just out of curiosity, if you have $1400 to spend why aren't you looking into going with a head/cab or preamp/amp/cab combination? Just my opinion but that would be a better option.
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000

Ditto. . .

I have an SVT-4PRO and absolutely love the amp.

As far as you're original question. For the money that you are looking to spend you have quite a few options available. Play a whole bunch of stuff and let your ears decide.

If you look used you can most likely get much more amp for your money.

9. Pretty helpful. :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with that combo, but lots of people are using and liking a lot of the other Ampeg combos, like the BA-100. If you like it go for it.

Ampeg's reliability and repair records are on par with any of the other mass manufacturers.
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ampeg is ok.... nothing special, like they once were, but they are ok. However, they're really expensive.

If you have $1400, you can pick up a powerful, loud rig with excellent tone. Ampeg SVP preamp if you wanted.... Aguilar Cabs.... any sorta power amp....

Dude, with that budget, your choices are SO wide. If your insistant on a combo (for portability), then look to a brand like Eden that can give you a lot more power in a combo, so that you wouldnt need to upgrade.

Shop around s'more... its funner than you think :)
  11. Get an Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 head, abm 115 cab and abm410 cab and you have a superb gigging rig, or leave one cab at home for smaller gigs and practice.

The improvement with Ashdown was so easy to hear that i sold my nearly new Ampeg SVTCL head as it didnt sound a patch on the ABM head, plus the ABM is far more versatile and you can actually hear the tone and the notes you play, where as the Ampeg was all out power and deep deep thud but no mids just didnt cut through unless you lug a 8 x 10 around ( yeah right, like my back would thank me for that )

I also had an Ampeg SVT3 PRO not bad, expensive and under powered but a nice amp if it was a third cheaper in price, in the UK it cost £900 ($1700) and the SVTCL cost me $2800 so a real waste of my money.