1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampless in Big Venue - I finally did it!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jaywa, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Ran my bass to SansAmp BDDI to P.A. at a 1,000 capacity indoor venue a few nights ago. Didnt even have my own monitor but was able to catch enough off of frontline wedges and FOH to hear myself ok and by all accounts FOH sound killed thru a massive P.A. Felt kinda odd getting up there with no amp after a steady progression of "fridges" by other bands on the bill but it worked out fine for us.

2. BenM7301

BenM7301

Dec 21, 2010
    The PA man must have loved you for that.

3. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Ampless is cool...but no wedge or in ears? I have a tough time envisioning how catching enough from other monitors and FOH would make for an enjoyable playing experience in the least. At a 1,000 seater I would think the FOH would at least be able to provide you a wedge or in-ears feed...was this your own PA or house?

Either way...glad you enjoyed it, I would never agree to such a situation.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    There were 6 wedges on the front line, also side fills though I'm not sure they were on. Also we only had one amp on the stage (lead guitar) and the stage was big so stage volume was very reasonable.

Sound guy did love it. Said he pushed us up to about 115 DB before his boss told him to bring it down. Also said he'd gladly mix out band again anytime we wanted.