1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amplified pa speakers for home usage?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by sean2222, Aug 26, 2012.

1. sean2222

sean2222

Aug 26, 2012
    Hi,
    I was curious as to whether pa speakers could be used as strictly home audio speakers period. Not for mixing, or any studio work. Just as a set of amplified home speakers to run into my boombox. I do it with computer speakers. I do it with near sound monitors. So if I run pa speakers into my boombox will it sound as good as either of th eother types? I see many have very high amp. ratings so I wonder if this might blow out a small music system? I also wonder about how people are saying these pa amplified speakers tend to accentuate bass. Is this the case on all? I am specifically looking for a natural sound (similar to monitors) but with less bass and an accentuation of highs. I usually do that with eq's on my speakers, etc. But i do not want anything that is going to be bass heavy even after I turn bass down to nothing with an eq. I want a pretty flat sound with very high frequencies high in the mix. Call it tinny. Call it trebly. Call it harsh. Call it bright. That is what I like, I am an audiophile. I don't want anything else. So will pa amplified speakers give me the sound I desire? Which brand/model will do so and also have the eq on it. And will they put out a better sound (to my needs) than an amplified 'studio monitor' that I am already used to having. I have behringer, numark, and alesis monitors at home btw. And my price range will not exceed $300 for a pair of speakers. I want 2 obviously, not this single speaker crap I see.
    thanks
    s

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Will it work? Sure. Will you like how it sounds? Hell, I dunno. Take your boombox to a guitar center and plug the headphone out into a pair of powered speakers and see for yourself.

Unless you are willing to spend $10,000 on a sound system, you aren't really an audiophile. ;^)

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yes, although you'll want an amp that's up to the task. You'll find that there's no single sound for "PA speakers"; rather, PA cabs w/ different designs sound different. Compared to home stereo cabs, some PA cabs are voiced close to flat through their range, other are very peaky.

That said, at your max budget of $150 per speaker I wouldn't imagine you would be able to find PA speakers worth having for your purpose.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hell yeah, and they could sound really good and really loud ... but not any that you'd get for $300 a pair. I've done it with my PRX 612Ms and Mackie 1530s. Of course the audiophiles would say they suck, but they don't.

5. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    You could try some old community 2way 10" or 12s, or even a pair of yamaha club monitors...with that tilt back design, you could kitty corner them...then you'll have to hire an interior decorator...oh bother...

Most "club" monitors can be decent for this...they're more designed to carry stage level vocals in a narrower dispersion than FOH mains. Even older small profile mains (like those old peavey 210h) are modeled on old timey hifi systems. There's a whole subculture of audiophile who live tearing apart old western electric classic movie theatres for their home systems, horn loaded-scoops...

PA speakers are not shielded, like good modern home audio speakers...so keep that in mind. They can pick up transients* found around yer home (*like, modem crosstalk, not hobos), and magnetize things that don't like to be magnetized.

6. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    OP, you say you're after a sound.
    Are you completely unable to get this "tinny/bright" sound with a bit of EQing and some studio monitors?

Also, $300 a pair for any sort of speaker leaves very few options.

7. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    I really do stress that, with careful shopping...the price is a moot point.

Not promising Ns-10s, or Auratones...but, maybe bookshelf versions of tannoys or jbls can be found at goodwill, or flea markets.

and, more than a few old timey PA cabs were designed using formulas beyond, rule of thumb. You can find some of these oddities at estate sales, or just by the curbside. They may need new spkrs...which should be easy, since you're not going to be driving these at high spls...
    They're not going to be matched pair, reference grade...but, with a good amp...they won't sound bad. Look for 10s, 12s w/ tweeters/horns.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure he is looking at powered speakers.