1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amplifier Buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ltrain, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Hello All:
    Hope this is in the right category. Is it typical for your amp to buzz when you touch the point of your cable plug when the other end is plugged into the amp? Thanks!

2. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Yes. At that point your body becomes a pick-up for the 60 cycle hum. Touching the tip of the cable passes that hum into the amp.

3. evil_chihuahua

evil_chihuahua

Oct 23, 2007
    Yes, that is completely normal. If you switch instruments a lot you might consider getting a volume pedal or a tuner pedal that will gives you a mute feature so you avoid making any noise.

4. Thanks for the info guys! I've been trying to track down the buzzing in my two passive basses and noticed the buzz thing when I touched the plug. Basses buzz until I touch metal then it goes down, unless I touch the pickups, then it goes up. I switched to hotter passive pickups in both, maybe that's the issue?