1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

An interesting approach to active EQ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Toadsmacker, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I'd just like to share something that I just did while goofing around with my active EQ on my Ibanez ATK300.

I've been GASing pretty hard for a P Bass, but my ATK is my baby and I thought I'd see what I can do to achieve a thick ATK humbucker tone combined with that P Bass bite. Heres a basic step-by-step of what I did:

1.) Flip ATK character switch to the neck ("trad") position. This achieves a sound like a humbucker trying to imitate a single coil, but doesn't quite do it as well as the next few steps will.
    2.) FULLY cut bass and mid controls on the onboard preamp, leaving the treble set flat.
    3.) EQ'd my Sansamp Para Driver to have a nice balanced level of bass and mids (actually a small bump in the mids for my personal preference), but a little less treble than I would normally go for. Boosting the drive control here just enough to bring up the levels lost by cutting the EQ and adding some more snarl which contributes to the passive "bite."

In effect, I now have no boosted EQ and the treble control on the preamp functions as a cut-only tone control. The reason I lowered the treble on the Sansamp is to not overload and get that horrid "tinny" tone.

It kind of defeats the purpose of an onboard preamp, but that tone... so much passive bite while maintaining that thick, chunky humbucker tone! Definately a unique approach which leaves me the versatility of the active EQ if I need it while at the same time curbing my GAS for a P Bass :cool:

Any thoughts? Anyone ever done something similar?

2. Follow1

Follow1

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanx, ill try this.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    A thinner, sharper bass tone into a fat, grindy rig is a great formula; why do you think Js and rics are so popular for those "kinda overdriven" rock tones?

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The purpose of an onboard EQ is to give you the tone you hoped to get. Sounds like purpose served to me.

Ken

5. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Did this to my old ATK.
    -Gutted crappy ATK pickup out, put in Seymour Duncan MM4 for a Stingray.
    - Took out the ATK's selector switch, installed new switch to allow for splitting between series, parallel, single coil.

Had to turn the trimpot on the pre down to account for a hot signal, but it sounded light years better than it did with the stock stuff in place.

6. Follow1

Follow1

Apr 10, 2011
    Wow! Do you have any samples?

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nope, the P pup type voices I prefer have more crunch and top end along with no muddyness at all.

8. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    So now it's an Ibanez MM?

To the OP: Good active EQ's can get you close to a lot of classic "known tones", like a wooly P bass or a scooped jazz or even a snarling MM.