Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

analogman bicomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Dec 16, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    anyone out there have expirience w/ analog man compressors.i'm looking to get a comp and this guy sounds interesting.how does the bicomp compare w/ just the single comp(ross)er,and how do they both compare w/ other comps.

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My current favorite, aside from the Retrospec Squeezebox, which I don't place on my board due to size, AC power, etc. BiComp's great, have also used many others, incl DBX 160A, Tone Press, RNC, MultiComp, a couple more).

The Compulator is great too, but the BiComp has a slight edge (though is a lot more $$). Can do both clean compression + colored, easy to use... good call all around. 4-knob is preferable (I find changing the attack is helpful for different basses/sounds), though the 3-knobs are good too.

single comprossor is great too, i personally alternate between both sides of the bicomp often.

3. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    what is the difference between the 2 comps in the bi comp,is it subtle or obvious,would you be missing a whole lot just having one, if so , which one.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've found it squished my active bass sound too much, even at low levels. Other people have had the same experience, some haven't. YMMV, just something to consider.

5. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    What he said. I ran my Modulus Q5 through it and it squished the hell out of it and sounded very bad to me. The passive basses I ran though it sounded much, much better. Too bad I rarely play passive.

It took nearly a year to get mine from the day I ordered. It only took a week for me to sell it :(