Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...And Justice For All (with bass)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chump stain, Mar 14, 2004.

1. I found this website over on the Dean Guitar forum. It's a Jason Newstead fansite where someone is re-recording Justice songs with the bass in the mix where it belongs. So far I've only listened to one song, but I'm going to listen to the rest soon. Sounds cool!

Jasonizer.com Justice for all

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    This isn't meant to be a knock against younger players, but it's even more impressive that the "new" bass parts were done by a 17 year old. Nice chops! :bassist:

3. Cool. I always fooled with the idea of doing this myself.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    As it is, I can't stand to listen to Justice. If there was some bass on there, maybe I would go out and buy it.

I think Metallica should comission me to remix that album. Get all the tracks lined up, shove the bass fader way up, and bam! "Where's my million dollars?"

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd check it out if the got Rob T to play bass on justice. Better yet, swallow their pride, say I'm sorry to Jason, and have HIM do it!!

6. I sold my copy of AJFA because of the crappy mix. great songs, just unlistenably bassless.

how long before Metallica's lawyers get that site shut down?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wow! I just put these songs through some good speakers, and damn! It sounds great! The bass is a tad too upfront in the mix, but I guess that's just to make up for all the years where it was too far back.

I'm curious as to how they recorded this. It almost sounds like the real thing. :bassist:

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Wow. They fixed Justice!!!! I agree that the bass is a BIT too up front, but it's nice to hear it for once. I'm just curius as to how they did this. Did they overdub the bass over the original recording or something?

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    sounds MUCH better now! Some nice bass lines he's playing there.

10. I'm sure he just used any multitrack type software like pro tools, and overdubbed the bass.
    I thought it could come up a little more in the mix. :confused:
    Never the less it sounds better.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There is no "One." That site is worthless.

When he records One, then it will rule like things have not ruled before.

12. I'm sure he'll get to it. One is actually easier then the other songs he's recorded.

Just like the ombudsman said, I've also fooled around with this idea. But I don't think I have the chops. It would be a fun challenge though.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

When Jason played one live the bass was stong in the mix, have you ever heard it on S&M, that is my favorite live recording of it.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know the kid who did that, his name is Greg (Lokire) and his site Jasonfan.com has more Jason info than you could ask for. I believe he's using G&L's to record and I'll admit he's a helluva bassist.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Same here. I think the orchestra adds to that song more than any other song on that album. Runners up are For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fuel, and Hero of the Day (the latter aren't the best tunes, but the improvement w/ the orchestra were the greatest on those tracks).

16. MAJOR METAL

I would Love to see Jason in Metallica again.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never gonna happen. Jason's through with metallica. Period.

18. MAJOR METAL

Do you know the old saying " never say never" Jason did state in an interview when Metallica is inducted in the rock & roll hall a fame he would be their to play with them to take credit for the part of their history he contributed too.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That I would actually pay to see. My dad asked me if I wanted to see the St. Poop tour when it came around and I was like... noooooOOooOo thanks.

But yeah, if my choices of bands to be in were Metallica, Voivod, or Ozzy. I'd probably pick Voivod, then Ozzy, then Metallica. Ozzy is a bit of a joke now, despite the fact that he's a legend and Metallica are, well a holes.

20. None of the links work =/
    Any chance anyone could send them?