1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And that as they say is that....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Our band has been together since late 06 or early 07. We play/played hard rock classic rock songs. Had to be danceable given the state of our local clubs. So ....Aerosmith, Poison, Cheap Trick, AC/DC, The Cars plus some newer stuff like Crazy Bitch etc. We were/are very good and played all the top clubs. All the members of our band are in our early 50's, except 1, and he is in his late forties.

But in the last year the desire and passion in the band has been fading. It was starting to show a bit in our performances. Not real bad but we just weren't the in your face rock band we had been. Playing clubs now isn't the same as back in the 80's when we first all started in music. Back then the band was the focus. Now most of the time these days we are the jukebox or back ground music. Not complaining...it's just the reality.

So.....

After 8 years of gigging every second weekend, if not more, we have decided the end has come. We still had gigs booked but with a couple of the guys having health issues, not serious, but preventing them from performing to the best of their abilities, we decided our end had come. The biggest issue is our singer contracted viral laryngitis just before Xmas and his voice has not come back. Plus, he had really lost the passion of playing cover songs. He knew it....the rest of us knew it. Since Xmas we have been using a fill in drummer because our regular guy had 2 operations over Xmas and is out of commission until summer. The guitar player and I, we basically run the band, decided yesterday that we didn't want to try to carry on with a fill in drummer (already doing that) and a fill in singer. We thought that was getting a bit desperate. It was time to read the writing on the wall.

We have pulled out of our remaining gigs and for the first time in a long, long time I have nothing booked on my calender for band gigs. :crying: Have to say a couple of the texts our guitar player and I exchanged yesterday, never mind a phone call and the emails, put a lump in my throat.

But...at some point you have to know when it's over. We had a good run and probably a longer life than most cover bands.

But still....:(

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It all eventually fades into memories. Yours were good ones. Better to end it that way then let it drag on until even the memories become bad. You had a good long run. Better than many. Celebrate it.

Like the illustrious Mr. Baggins of Bag End so aptly put it:

The Road goes ever on and on
    Out from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    Let others follow it who can!
    Let them a journey new begin,
    But I at last with weary feet
    Will turn towards the lighted inn,
    My evening-rest and sleep to meet. -
    JRR Tolkein

tumblr_inline_nhun82DS3F1rnrk68.

3. ^^^ totally agree and exactly where our heads were at. We had a lot of fun over the last 8 years.

40Hz likes this.
  4. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    you have some good memories.....now go find/start something better!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Geddyfleaharris likes this.
  5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Smart move, wish some famous band would take that hint.

Good luck.