1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anemic J vs P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KeithPoker, Aug 26, 2012.

1. My J just sounds anemic compared to my P. They are both strung up with TIs and have Fralins on them. There aren't many differences besides that my J is MIM and P is MIA. I think it's a combination of bad stock, the fact I'm comparing MIM to MIA, and just the nature of single coil vs split. Can anyone relate? Does anyone think it's more one of the above mentioned more than the other?

2. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's a J-bass; of course it sounds anemic compared to a P.

:bag:

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Try wiring your Jazz pups in series - that'll increase it's output volume, mids, and low end a bit... I own a couple of Jazz basses, and both have series/parallel switches that pretty much live in the series position... A quick and easy way to try series out is to clip off the black wire coming from the neck pup, the white wire from the bridge pup, and splice them together...

- georgestrings

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    ^^Here you go^^

The most expensive Jazz Bass will sound anemic compared to the cheapest Precision Bass copy. It's because of the design of the pickups and their placement.
    The series/parallel thing is a good place to start.

Also, have you tried simply backing off on the bridge volume? That will help some mids pop out.

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Yeah, This. It REALLY works!

6. Thanks, it's kind of a DUH question (isn't a lot on here?) but I am interested in the input and any more is appreciated. Series is a good idea.

Yes I've adjusted pickup volumes as well as EQ. I think a MIA J would cut the difference enough to satisfy me. I've played better Js for sure, this one is just a bit muddy/unfocused and anemic. So maybe I'll call this issue overall MIM including the weak bridge. The rest I'll say is simply single vs split coil.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

If your MIM plays well, then an upgrade to the pups and a series/parallel switch is probably all you need to change... IME, the electronics are typicaly the weakest link on the MIMs - the bridge isn't at fault... Depending on what sound your going for, slap in a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz or Model J pups, wired in series - and that thing will be thumpin'...

- georgestrings

8. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    :ninja: p is good at what it does, but p can't sound like a j. If you have both, what's the problem?

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    TIs sound weak on Jazz basses. Try another/different set of flats or some rounds.

10. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Yeah I love TIs on P-basses but not Jazz basses. When I yanked them from my AV 62 Jazz and replaced them with LaBella flats on that bass it suddenly rocked! No lack of low end, big thump, etc. just what the OP is maybe looking for.

11. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's also the difference of two pickups picking up string vibrations several inches apart, with all their inherent differences (especially transients) and combined. Even in series it's not the same as a single pickup getting the one location. As a diehard P favorer when I play my J I always use nearly all one pickup or the other, never much of both for that reason.

12. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    There are plenty of folks who like TI's with a j bass, but the general consensus seems to be that those strings (just about my favorite string of all time) do best on a P. The strong mid presence of the P just seems to work really well with the TI flats.

13. I was thinking this too! I will give a few sets I have here a shot :)

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I love TI-flats on my Jazz.
    My Jazz has custom D Allan pickups.
    They kill with flats.
    But I also say TI-flats are wonderful on my P-Bass too.